Avon, North Carolina
|Avon, North Carolina|
Sunset over the northern outskirts of Avon
Location in Dare County and the state of North Carolina
|• Total||2.41 sq mi (6.24 km2)|
|• Land||2.36 sq mi (6.10 km2)|
|• Water||0.05 sq mi (0.14 km2)|
|Elevation||20 ft (6 m)|
|• Density||329/sq mi (127.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1018881|
Avon is located on the North Carolina Outer Banks at latitude 35°21'7" North, longitude 75°30'39" West. The village is south of Salvo and north of Buxton on Hatteras Island. The United States Postal Service has assigned Avon the ZIP code 27915.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the Avon CDP has a total area of 2.41 square miles (6.24 km2), of which 2.36 square miles (6.10 km2) is land and 0.05 square miles (0.14 km2), or 2.27%, is water. Avon is bordered to the east by the Atlantic Ocean and to the west by Pamlico Sound.
Historically named "Kinnakeet", the village was renamed "Avon" by the U.S. Postal Service when a post office was established there in 1883. The U.S. Life-Saving Service constructed the Little Kinnakeet Life Saving Station in 1874, remaining active, under the Coast Guard from 1915, until decommissioned in 1954. The building is now part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Avon CDP, North Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 24, 2015.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Avon, North Carolina
- Avon, North Carolina History Archived March 28, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- Little Kinnakeet Lifesaving Station: Home to Unsung Heroes Archived May 3, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- Little Kinnakeet Lifesaving Station: Home to Unsung Heroes, a National Park Service Teaching with Historic Places (TwHP) lesson plan
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Avon, North Carolina.|
|Beaches of The Outer Banks||Succeeded by|
|This article about a location in Dare County, North Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|