Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children
|Director||George Davey Smith|
|University of Bristol|
The Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC), also known as Children of the 90s and formerly the Avon Longitudinal Study of Pregnancy and Childhood, is a cohort study of children born in the former county of Avon, England during 1991 and 1992. It is used by researchers in health, education and other social science disciplines.
The study is hosted at the University of Bristol and was initially led by Jean Golding and is now directed by George Davey Smith. The initial recruits were 15,247 pregnant women with estimated dates of delivery between April 1991 and December 1992. Since then the fathers, siblings and children of the participants have also begun to be studied.
It is one of a family of similar studies that were set up at around the same time in six countries across Europe, known as the European Longitudinal Study of Pregnancy and Childhood (ELSPAC). ELSPAC included studies in Czechoslovakia and the Isle of Man, in addition to ALSPAC.
- http://www.bristol.ac.uk/alspac/ ALSPAC website, accessed 15 October 2014
- http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/Achievements-and-Impact/Initiatives/UK-biomedical-science/ALSPAC/index.htm Wellcome Trust page on ALSPAC, accessed 24 February 2010
- "About the ELSPAC study". ELSPAC. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "ELSPAC in the Isle of Man". University of Bristol. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- Pearson, Helen (12 April 2012). "Children of the 90s: Coming of age". Nature. 484 (7393): 155–158. doi:10.1038/484155a. PMID 22498607.
- Frood, Arran (26 May 2012). "Profile: Children of the 90s comes of age". The Lancet. 379 (9830): 1938. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60843-5.
- Boyd, A.; Golding, J.; Macleod, J.; Lawlor, D. A.; Fraser, A.; Henderson, J.; Molloy, L.; Ness, A.; Ring, S.; Davey Smith, G. (16 April 2012). "Cohort Profile: The 'Children of the 90s'--the index offspring of the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children". International Journal of Epidemiology. 42: 1–17. doi:10.1093/ije/dys064. PMC . PMID 22507743.
- Fraser, A.; Macdonald-Wallis, C.; Tilling, K.; Boyd, A.; Golding, J.; Davey Smith, G.; Henderson, J.; Macleod, J.; Molloy, L.; Ness, A.; Ring, S.; Nelson, S. M.; Lawlor, D. A. (16 April 2012). "Cohort Profile: The Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children: ALSPAC mothers cohort". International Journal of Epidemiology. 42: 97–110. doi:10.1093/ije/dys066.
- History of Modern Biomedicine Research Group (2012). C Overy; L A Reynolds; E M Tansey, eds. History of the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC), c.1980–2000 (PDF). Queen Mary, University of London. ISBN 978 090223 8787.
- http://www.bristol.ac.uk/alspac/ Website of the study