Avon Old Farms
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Avon Old Farms School|
500 Old Farms Road|
Aspirando et Perseverando|
(Aspiring and Persevering)
|Headmaster||Kenneth H. LaRocque|
406 students (9–12, PG)|
|Average class size||11 students|
|Student to teacher ratio||6:1|
|Campus||900 acres (3.64 km²)|
|Color(s)||Crimson and Navy Blue|
|Athletics||15 varsity interscholastic sports teams (36 interscholastic teams total)|
|Average SAT scores (2012)||1470|
|Acceptance rate||32% (2017)|
Avon Old Farms School is a single-sex boarding school for boys located in Avon, Connecticut, United States. The school was founded in 1927 by Theodate Pope Riddle, one of the first female architects in America. The school was originally run by the Pope-Brooks Foundation, which was founded in part by Theodate. The school closed for a period during World War II to serve as a convalescent hospital for blind veterans. The current headmaster is Kenneth H. LaRocque.
Avon Old Farms is in the Founders League.
Avon ice hockey teams have won eight Division 1 New England Championships (five between 2004 and 2010). In the 2015–16 season, the Winged Beavers won the Founders League and landed third in the USHR standings. Avon produced NHL players such as Hockey Hall of Fame member Brian Leetch, as well as Jonathan Quick, Chris Higgins, Cam Atkinson, and Nick Bonino. Coach John Gardner has a record of 603–178–29. On December 21, 2009, Avon played Taft School in the first hockey game played at Fenway Park. In 2012 Jonathan Quick joined fellow alumni Brian Leetch (1994) as a winner of the Conn Smythe Trophy.
Avon's lacrosse team was coached by Skip Flanagan. After Coach Flanagan left the school, Ted Garber became head coach. In 2015 the Avon lacrosse program saw its best team yet. Avon's varsity team finished with a 15-2 record. They also won the Western New England and the Founders League. The 2015 team was also rated as the number one team in New England and one of the best programs in the "Elite 25" by USA Today
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Daniel New, professional ice hockey defenceman
- George Springer, outfielder for the Houston Astros
- Katz, Sandra (2003). Dearest of Geniuses: A Life of Theodate Pope Riddle. Windsor,CT: Tide-Mark Press. p. 242. ISBN 1-55949-828-5.
- https://www.newmindit.com, New Mind Development:. "New England Prep Hockey Standings 2016-17". the Inside Word. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- "Topic Galleries". Courant.com. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "Coaches For Under Armour All-America Lacrosse Classic Selected (NYSE:UAA)". Uabiz.com. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "News Post". Avonoldfarms.com. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "Danny New". Elite Prospects. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "Old Farms' Springer Is Old School". Articles.courant.com. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Avon Old Farms School.|