Avondale High School (Michigan)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Avondale High School|
|2800 Waukegan Road,
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
|Color(s)||Purple and Gold|
|Website||Avondale High School|
Avondale High School is located in Auburn Hills, Michigan, which is located in the greater Metro Detroit area. Avondale High School, or AHS as it is commonly known, is the only high school serving the Avondale School District. The High School feeds from Auburn, Deerfield, Woodland, and Graham Elementary Schools to one middle school, then to Avondale High School. Students zoned to ASD live in sections of Troy, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, and Bloomfield Township. There are approximately 1,100 students presently enrolled at AHS, which serves grades 9-12. The students have the option of taking regular, honors, or AP classes.
In 1947, the Auburn Heights Elementary School combined with three schools in Avon Township (now Rochester Hills) to form a school district. The name Avondale was chosen after a contest. The first Avondale High was built in Avon Township in 1952, previously known as Avondale Meadows Upper Elementary. The current building opened in 1970. It was a low, modern building, rectangular in plan. Four years later, the auditorium, auto shop, pool and wrestling room were constructed. Art rooms, broadcast facilities, and other classrooms were completed in 1991, and a new hallway of classrooms, auxiliary gym and pool renovations were completed a few years later. Between 1998 and 2000, the building underwent its most extensive improvements, with a new fieldhouse, media center and cafeteria (which was converted from the original gym). Recent construction was finished in 2006, for classroom additions, a performing arts wing, and a renovated auditorium with a fly loft. As part of a 2010 bond issue, a new weight room was constructed and the football stadium was rebuilt along with the athletic fields. Avondale has transitioned from Elementary being grades K-4, Upper Elementary grades 5-6, and the Middle school grades 7-8. Now Avondale offers Elementary from K-5, Middle School grades 6-8, and High school until grades 12.
The team name and mascot of Avondale is the Avondale Yellow Jackets. Varsity and JV sports are held there. In 2002, the Boys Varsity Basketball team won the State Championship for MHSAA Class B . The Boys Varsity Soccer team won the Division II state championship in 2011. The Boys Varsity Track and Field team won the Division II state championship as well in 2011.
- Greg Hildebrandt and Tim Hildebrandt '54, science fiction artists and co-designers of the original Star Wars poster 
- John Morton '88, football coach currently serving as Offensive Coordinator for the New York Jets.
- Elizabeth Reaser '93, actress in films such as The Family Stone and Twilight as well as television series "Saved" and "Grey's Anatomy" and daughter of former Detroit Pistons owner Karen Davidson.
- Chelsea-Lyn Rudder '01, Miss Michigan Teen USA 2001
- Mike Lewis, '02, professional football player and linebacker for Utah Blaze, defensive MVP while playing for Adrian College
- David Holston, '04, professional basketball player and point guard for JDA Dijon Basket, previously ranked #3 in the nation in scoring while playing for Chicago State University
- "Avondale High School - AHS Home". Avondale High School. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "District Map" (Archive). Avondale School District. Retrieved on June 20, 2015.
- Business Services - 2010 Bond Projects Archived February 21, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Finishing on top: Avondale rallies past Spring Lake for D-2 state soccer title | North Oakland Sports
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-02-19.