Avro 627 Mailplane
|Type 627 Mailplane|
|National origin||United Kingdom|
|Developed from||Avro Antelope|
The Avro 608 Hawk was a proposed two-seater fighter variant of the Antelope, which was planned to be powered by a Bristol Jupiter radial engine. Although construction of a prototype began, it was incomplete when it was redesigned with a 540 hp (400 kW) Armstrong Siddeley Panther engine as the Avro 622.
Following interest by Canadian Airways, who had a possible requirement for a mail plane, Roy Chadwick again redesigned the incomplete prototype to the Avro 627 Mailplane . This was a single-engine, single-bay biplane, powered by a 525 hp (391 kW) Panther engine and fitted for wheel or float operation. The sole prototype (G-ABJM) was certificated on 2 August 1931, and was shipped to Canada for operational trials. While these trials were successful, the Canadian government cut the subsidy for civil aviation and so Canadian Airways was unable to afford new aircraft, so the mailplane was returned to England.
- Avro 608 Hawk
- Proposed two-seat fighter, powered by 425 hp (317 kW) Bristol Jupiter engine. Prototype incomplete.
- Avro 622
- Redesigned Avro 608, powered by 540 hp (400 kW) Armstrong Siddeley Panther II engine. Incomplete prototype converted to Avro 627.
- Avro 627 Mailplane
- Single-seat mailplane, powered by 525 hp (391 kW) Armstrong Siddeley Panther IIA engine. One prototype built.
- Avro 654
- Conversion of Avro 627 as high-speed test bed.
Specifications (Avro 627 Mailplane)
Data from Avro Aircraft since 1908 
- Crew: One
- Capacity: 40 ft3 mail compartment
- Length: 30 ft 10 in (9.40 m)
- Wingspan: 36 ft 0 in (10.98 m)
- Height: 10 ft 10 in (3.30 m)
- Wing area: 381 ft2 (35.4 m2)
- Empty weight: 3,077 lb (1,399 kg)
- Loaded weight: 5,150 lb (2,341 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × Armstrong Siddeley Panther IIA 14 cylinder two-row radial engine, 525 hp (391 kW)
- Maximum speed: 148 kn (170 mph, 274 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 128 kn (147 mph, 237 km/h)
- Range: 487 nmi (560 mi, 902 km)
- Service ceiling: 19,000 ft (5,800 m)
- Rate of climb: 1,200 ft/min (6.1 m/s)
- Wing loading: 13.5 lb/ft2 (66.1 kg/m2)
- Power/mass: 0.102 hp/lb (0.167 kW/kg)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Avro 627 Mailplane.|