Away: Shuffle Dungeon
|Away: Shuffle Dungeon|
North American cover art
Away: Shuffle Dungeon (Away シャッフルダンジョン) is an action role-playing game developed by Artoon and Mistwalker for the Nintendo DS. The story involves a curse called "Away", which causes a person to mysteriously vanish from a village each year. The game was released on October 30, 2008.
The main gameplay focus of Away is its "shuffle dungeons", where both DS screens show a part of the dungeon for the player to explore in. When a player enters a dungeon, they are given a few seconds to move Sword around both screens before a part of the dungeon starts to shift and reveal a different area for the player to battle monsters and open treasure chests. If a player dwells too much time in one of the dungeon's areas, they'll get caught in the shuffle and will lose a portion of their HP and start over in the dungeon before the previous one where you got shifted. After reaching the final floor of a dungeon, you'll either face a boss or collect gold or items from treasure chests and access a save point. Once you exit through the way you came from the dungeon, you'll be able to use that dungeon again to raise your stats and open chests.
Away: Shuffle Dungeon was co-developed by Artoon and Mistwalker and published in Japan by AQ Interactive. Instead of handing off the western localization to AQ's subsidiary Xseed Games as earlier reported, the game was published in North America by Majesco Entertainment. AQ Interactive and Virgin Play entered into a partnership for its European release, translating the game into German, English, Spanish, French and Italian.
The game received a 7.5/10 from VicioJuegos.com, 7/10 from Nintendo Power who complimented its fast-paced gameplay while criticizing its trial-and-error format. GameSpot gave it a 5.5/10, stating the gameplay was too simple and easy.
- "Majesco Entertainment - For all your gaming needs". Majescoentertainment.com. Archived from the original on September 14, 2008. Retrieved November 23, 2008.
- Yip, Spencer (May 29, 2008). "Siliconera » Away: Shuffle Dungeon shimmies to Europe this autumn". Siliconera. Archived from the original on 11 October 2008. Retrieved November 23, 2008.
- "Away: Shuffle Dungeon for DS - Away: Shuffle Dungeon DS Game - Away: Shuffle Dungeon DS Video Game". Majesco Entertainment. Archived from the original on 2009-12-22. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- Yip, Spencer (July 7, 2008). "Mistwalker hands Away: Shuffle Dungeon to Majesco". Siliconera. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- Yip, Spencer (June 6, 2008). "All about Away: Shuffle Dungeon". Siliconera. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- Oct, Posted (October 30, 2008). "Away: Shuffle Dungeon for DS Review - DS Away: Shuffle Dungeon Review". Majesco Entertainment. Archived from the original on July 28, 2012. Retrieved 2008-11-23.