Awena means “The Mirror” in Kurdish. The newspaper was founded by Asos Ahmed Hardi, former editor-in-chief of Hawlati after he clashed with the owner of Hawlati and resigned.  Hardi is the director of the Awena (Mirror) Company, which publishes Awena.  It began publication in January 2006. Hardi took most of his team with him from Hawlati.
In 2008, Suzanne Fischer of the Institute for War and Peace Reporting, was quoted as saying that Awena was the only truly independent newspaper in Iraqi Kurdistan, since it was the only one to have explained its business model.
In 2009, the daily reported a circulation of 17,000.
- "Heroism in name of media freedom honoured at British Press Awards". Press Gazette. 21 March 2008. Retrieved 5 September 2009.
- "The Question of Kurdistan: Where Will It Lead?". Kurd Net. 7 January 2006. Retrieved 5 September 2009.
- "Awene: Independent Kurdish weekly mirrors life in Kurdistan, Sulaimaniyah". Voice of America. 8 May 2009. Retrieved 5 September 2009.
- "The Kurdistan Region: Future Prospects: UK parliamentary fact-finding visit to the Kurdistan Region in Iraq 9 – 15 February 2008" (PDF). Washington Kurdish Institute. June 2008. Retrieved 5 September 2009.
- "Kurdish journalist wins Gebran Tueni Award". The Kurdish Globe. 19 December 2009. Retrieved 26 March 2013.