|Studio album by Be-Bop Deluxe|
|Genre||Glam rock, Art rock, Progressive rock|
|Be-Bop Deluxe chronology|
|Singles from Axe Victim|
The material is different from later releases; it was released at the height of the glam rock era in Britain, with the band's music and image being influenced by the musical zeitgeist. Several songs, such as the title track "Axe Victim", demonstrated this glam influence, whilst others, for example, the future concert staple "Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape", showed their progressive tendencies. At the time of its release, the band's glam image and music was being criticised as being too similar to that of David Bowie, a comparison that would ultimately lead to Be-Bop Deluxe's disbanding as band leader Bill Nelson strived to make more and more unconventional music.
The song "Jets At Dawn", a re-recording of the earlier Smile Records version, holds the distinction of being the longest Be-Bop Deluxe album track, lasting 7:20. The only longer studio recordings are the Sunburst Finish-era B-side "Shine" (at 7:49) and the multi-track "Modern Music" suite.
This incarnation of the band, featuring Bill Nelson on vocals and lead guitar, Ian Parkin on rhythm guitar, Robert Bryan on bass, and Nicholas Chatterton-Dew on drums, would only last for this album, before Nelson disbanded Be-Bop Deluxe following the "Axe Victim" tour and reformed it with several other musicians for the following year's "Futurama".
Original UK release (June 1974)
All songs written by Bill Nelson, except "Rocket Cathedrals" by Robert Bryan.
- Side 1
- "Axe Victim" – 5:14
- "Love is Swift Arrows" – 4:12
- "Jet Silver and the Dolls of Venus" – 4:10
- "Third Floor Heaven" – 2:27
- "Night Creatures" – 3:34
- Side 2
- "Rocket Cathedrals" – 3:00
- "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" – 3:23
- "Jets at Dawn" – 7:19
- "No Trains To Heaven" – 6:39
- "Darkness (L'Immoraliste)" – 3:22
- CD issue bonus tracks (1991)
- "Piece of Mine (Live)" (CD issue bonus track) – 5:13
- "Mill Street Junction (Live)" (CD issue bonus track) – 4:43
- "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape (Live)" (CD issue bonus track) – 7:56
- Bill Nelson – electric and 12-string guitars, lead vocals (all but 6), keyboards
- Ian Parkin – rhythm and acoustic guitars, organ
- Robert Bryan – bass guitar, lead vocals (6)
- Nicholas Chatterton-Dew – drums, backing vocals
- Be Bop Deluxe Discography
- Axe Victim album sleevenotes. Kevin Cann, 1990