|Member of the European Parliament|
1 July 2009
7 April 1963 |
|Political party|| German:
Christian Democratic Union
European People's Party
Axel Voss (born 7 April 1963) is a German politician and Member of the European Parliament (MEP) from Germany. He is a member of the Christian Democratic Union of Germany, part of the European People's Party.
Education and Private Life
From 1983 to 1990 Voss studied law at the Universities of Trier, Munich, Freiburg and Paris. In 1990 he took his first Staatsexamen (a German government licensing examination), specialising in European and international law. After a traineeship at the Supreme Provincial Court of Appeal in Koblenz, he finished his second Staatsexamen, specialising in European law and international relations. Beginning in 1994 he worked as a lawyer and was Citizens' adviser of the European Commission at the regional Commission Representation in Bonn. From 2000 to 2009 he taught European affairs at the RheinAhrCampus in Remagen of the University of Applied Sciences Koblenz.
Voss is married and has two daughters.
In 2009 Voss was elected to the European Parliament. He is member of the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs, the Delegation to the EU-Chile Joint Parliamentary Committee and the Delegation to the Euro-Latin American Parliamentary Assembly. In addition he is a substitute to the Committee on Budgets, the Committee on Petitions and the Delegation for relations with the Mercosur countries. He also serves as a member of the European Parliament Intergroup on the Digital Agenda. and the European Parliament Intergroup on Biodiversity, Countryside, Hunting and Recreational Fisheries.
On the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs, Voss is the European People's Party Group’s coordinator. He has been serving as his group’s rapporteur or shadow rapporteur for the center-right European People’s Party (EPP) on a directive on the use of passenger name record (PNR) data for the prevention, detection, investigation and prosecution of terrorist offences and serious crime; digital consumer rules; and on copyright reform.
In 2014, when Edward Snowden testified before the European Parliament, Voss implied that Snowden had endangered innocents' lives and potentially collaborated with terrorists as well as the Russian and Chinese intelligence agencies.
- Evangelical Working Group of the CDU/CSU, Member
- German-Australian-Pacific Lawyers Association, Member
- cnetz, Member
- European Internet Foundation (EIF), Member
- European Logistics Platform (ELP), Member
- Rotary International, Member
- "MEP profile: Axel Voss". European Parliament. Retrieved 6 November 2010.
- Voss, Axel. "Professional Information of Axel Voss". Homepage (in German). Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- Voss, Axel. "Personal Information of Axel Voss". Homepage (in German). Archived from the original on 27 September 2010. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- Weber, Gerrit (6 December 2005). "Breuer mit großer Mehrheit im Amt bestätigt" (in German). CDU MIttelrhein. Archived from the original on 1 July 2011. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- Weber, Gerrit (16 November 2009). "Röttgen mit großer Mehrheit zum CDU-Bezirkschef gewählt" (in German). CDU MIttelrhein. Archived from the original on 1 July 2011. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- Members European Parliament Intergroup on the Digital Agenda.
- Member of the European Parliament Intergroup on Biodiversity, Countryside, Hunting and Recreational Fisheries European Parliament.
- Zoya Sheftalovich and David Meyer (November 30, 2015), Deal close on EU passenger name records Politico Europe.
- Joanna Plucinska (January 12, 2017), Talk to the hand: Digital gatekeeper Evelyne Gebhardt Politico Europe.
- Catherine Stupp (July 14, 2017), New lead MEP could shift talks on contentious copyright bill EurActiv.
- "Edward Snowden delivers testimony to the European Parliament". Free Snowden: The Courage Foundation. 2014. pp. 10–11. Archived from the original on 10 March 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Axel Voss.|