|Traded as||BSE: 532215
|Industry||Banking, Financial services|
|Founded||1993(as UTI Bank)|
|Headquarters||Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India|
|Shikha Sharma (MD & CEO) Sanjiv Misra (Chairman)|
|Products||Credit cards, consumer banking, corporate banking, finance and insurance, investment banking, mortgage loans, private banking, private equity, wealth management|
|Revenue||₹414.0925 billion (US$6.2 billion) (2016)|
|₹83.5759 billion (US$1.2 billion) (2016)|
|Total assets||₹5.25468 trillion (US$78 billion) (2016)|
|Total equity||₹4.7657 billion (US$71 million)|
Number of employees
|56,084 (March 2016)|
AxisBank is the third largest of the private-sector banks in India offering a comprehensive suite of financial products. The bank has its head office in Mumbai and Registered office in Ahmedabad. It has 2,959 branches, 12,743 ATMs, and nine international offices. The bank employs over 50,000 people and had a market capitalization of ₹1.0583 trillion (US$16 billion) (as on March 31, 2016). It offers the entire spectrum of financial services large and mid-size corporates, SME, and retail businesses. Axis Bank has its registered office in Ahmedabad.
As of 30 Jun. 2016, 30.81% shares are owned by promoters & promoter group (United India Insurance Company Limited, Oriental Insurance Company Limited, National Insurance Company Limited, National Assurance Company Ltd, GIC, LIC & UTI). Remaining 69.19% shares are owned by Mutual Funds Institutions, FIIs, Financial Institutions (banks), Insurance companies, corporate bodies & individual investors among others.
- 1 History
- 2 Operations
- 3 Services
- 4 Controversies related to Ethics
- 5 Initiatives
- 6 Subsidiaries
- 7 Awards and recognitions
- 8 Listing and shareholding
- 9 References
UTI Bank opened its registered office in Ahmedabad and corporate office in Mumbai in December 1993. The first branch was inaugurated on 2 April 1994 in Ahmedabad by Dr. Manmohan Singh, the Finance Minister of India. UTI Bank began its operations in 1993, after the Government of India allowed new private banks to be established. The Bank was promoted in 1993 jointly by the Administrator of the Unit Trust of India (UTI-I), Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC), General Insurance Corporation, National Insurance Company, The New India Assurance Company, The Oriental Insurance Corporation and United India Insurance Company.
In 2001 UTI Bank agreed to merge with and amalgamate Global Trust Bank, but the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) withheld approval and nothing came of this. In 2004 the RBI put Global Trust into moratorium and supervised its merger into Oriental Bank of Commerce.
UTI Bank opened its first overseas branch in 2006 Singapore. That same year it opened a representative office in Shanghai, China. UTI Bank opened a branch in the Dubai International Financial Centre in 2007. That same year it began branch operations in Hong Kong. In 2008 it opened a representative office in Dubai.
Axis Bank opened a branch in Colombo in October 2011, as a Licensed Commercial Bank supervised by the Central Bank of Sri Lanka. Also in 2011, Axis Bank opened a representative offices in Abu Dhabi. In 2011, Axis bank inaugurated Axis House, its new corporate office in Worli, Mumbai.
In 2013, Axis Bank's subsidiary, Axis Bank UK commenced banking operations. Axis Bank UK has a branch in London.
In 2015, Axis Bank opens its representative office in Dhaka.
The bank has over 50,000 employees (as of 31 March 2016). The bank incurred ₹26.7 billion (US$400 million) on employee benefits during the FY 2012–13. The average age of an Axis Bank employee is 29 years. The attrition rate in Axis Bank is approx. 9% per year.
As of 12 Aug 2016, the bank had a network of 3,120 branches and extension counters and 12,922 ATMs. Axis Bank has the largest ATM network among private banks in India and it operates an ATM at one of the world’s highest sites at Thegu, Sikkim at a height of 4,023 meters (13,200 ft) above sea level.
The Bank has nine international offices with branches at Singapore, Hong Kong, Dubai (at the DIFC), Shanghai, Colombo and representative offices at Dhaka, Dubai and Abu Dhabi, which focus on corporate lending, trade finance, syndication, investment banking and liability businesses. In addition to the above, the Bank has a presence in UK with its wholly owned subsidiary Axis Bank UK Limited.
In the retail banking category, the bank offers services such as lending to individuals/small businesses subject to the orientation, product and granularity criterion, along with liability products, card services, Internet banking, automated teller machines (ATM) services, depository, financial advisory services, and Non-resident Indian (NRI) services. Axis bank is a participant in RBI's NEFT enabled participating banks list.
Credit:The Bank offers various loan and fee-based products and services to Large and Mid-corporate customers and Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) businesses. These products and services include cash credit facilities, demand and short-term loans, project finance, export credit, factoring, channel financing, structured products, discounting of bills, documentary credits, guarantees, foreign exchange and derivative products. Liability products including current accounts, certificates of deposits and time deposits are also offered to large and mid-corporate segments.
Transaction Banking:Formed in April 2015, TxB provides integrated products and services to customers in areas of current accounts, cash management services, capital market services, trade, foreign exchange and derivatives, cross-border trade and correspondent banking services and tax collections on behalf of the Government and various State Governments in India.
Treasury:The Treasury manages the funding position of the Bank and also manages and maintains its regulatory reserve requirements. It invests in sovereign and corporate debt instruments and engages in proprietary trading in equity and fixed income securities, foreign exchange, currency futures and options. It also invests in commercial papers, mutual funds and floating rate instruments as part of the management of short-term surplus liquidity. In addition, it also offers a wide range of treasury products and services to corporate customers.
Syndication:The Bank also provides services of placement and syndication in the form of local currency bonds, rupee and foreign term loans and external commercial borrowings.
Investment Banking and Trustee Services:The Bank provides investment banking and trusteeship services through its owned subsidiaries. Axis Capital Limited provides investment banking services relating to equity capital markets, institutional stock broking besides M&A advisory. Axis Trustee Services Limited is engaged in trusteeship activities, acting as debenture trustee and as trustee to various securitization trusts.
The Bank continues to offer corporate banking, trade finance, treasury and risk management solutions through the branches at Singapore, Hong Kong, DIFC, Shanghai and Colombo, and also retail liability products from its branches at Hong Kong and Colombo. The representative office at Dhaka was inaugurated during the current financial year.Through the Representative Office at Dhaka.
Following the 2016 Indian Banknote Demonetisation, a number of Axis Bank employees were arrested for facilitating money laundering activities. Some media outlets highlighted the disproportionate amount of cases involving the bank, and claimed that the bank's aggressive performance targets and internal culture fostered such activities and that the blame does not lie solely in the hands of arrested employees.
Operation Red Spider
An Indian online magazine conducted a sting operation which was publicised along with 2013 videos evidence showing a wide range of violations and money-laundering schemes by top officials at a number of Indian banks, including Axis Bank. Consequently, penalty of Rs 5 crore on Axis Bank, Rs 4.5 crore on HDFC Bank and Rs 1 crore on ICICI Bank was imposed by Reserve Bank of India.
The newly introduced UPI will facilitate banking transactions using only a single 'Virtual Payment Address' (VPA). While transferring money to an account, the sender will not be forced to feed the slew of details like the account number and bank's IFSC Code, but can transact using only the VPA.
The bank launched Ping Pay in 2015, which is a multi-social payment solution that allows customers to transfer funds using their smart phones to both Axis Bank accounts and other banks' account holders.
Axis Bank augmented reality feature within its mobile app which lists all the dining destinations, property lists, shopping centers, bank ATMs, branches and many other things not only as a location on GPS but also in real life pictures along with distance and directions.
Axis Thought Factory
The innovation hub located in Bengaluru, has an in-house innovation team and an accelerator programme. The Innovation Lab work closely with the startup community that is redefining banking in the digital era. With this launch, Axis Bank becomes the first Indian bank to introduce a dedicated innovation lab in the country.
Insta Personal Loan
Microfinance Institutions (MFI) Lending
A new tablet based Loan Origination System developed to digitize the entire lending process of MFI business. This will replace the existing paper based loan sanctioning process.
Multicurrency Forex Cards
Axis Bank offer contactless Multicurrency Forex Cards to Indian travelers enabling faster and more convenient transactions while abroad. The same technology has also been extended to the Bank’s Debit and Credit card platforms. The Bank has setup an in-house Payment Gateway that allows for secure ecommerce transaction processing capability and reduces the cost incurred on using external gateways.
Asha Home Loans
Asha home loans, our home loan product, caters to the first time home buyers in the lower income segment; and helps them by providing affordable EMI options. The product offers loans from ₹100,000 (US$1,500)–₹1.5 million (US$22,000) in small towns (population less than 1 million) and up to ₹2.5 million (US$37,000) in larger towns (population over 1 million), to customers with family incomes of ₹8,000 (US$120)–₹10,000 (US$150) per month and above.
ISIC Forex Card
ISIC Forex Card' for students, is the first photo Travel Currency Card available in USD, EUR, GBP and AUD currencies. It can be used across 34 million merchant locations and at over 2 million MasterCard ATMs globally.
eKYC is an online/paperless Aadhaar card based process for fulfilling KYC requirements to start investing in Mutual Funds without submission of any documents. SEBI has recently allowed Aadhaar based KYC to be used for MF investments, for the convenience of investors.
The first step in starting your investment in mutual fund is KYC compliance. KYC verification enables you to open new accounts with all SEBI registered intermediaries such as the Mutual Funds, Stock Brokers, Portfolio Managers, Depository Participants, Venture Capital Funds and Collective Investment Schemes eliminating the need to repeat standard KYC. The normal KYC process requires submission of KYC form along with investor signature and additional documents for ID and address proof. In-person verification (IPV) and sighting the original documents needs to be completed by a competent person. eKYC completely eliminates paperwork and IPV to complete the KYC process.
Axis Bank has partnered with Visa to launch 'eKYC' (electronic Know your customer) facility, first organisation in India to introduce Biometrics based KYC, offering convenience, speed and ease to Aadhaar-registered individuals to open bank accounts.
The Bank has ten wholly owned subsidiaries:
- Axis Capital Ltd.
- Axis Private Equity Ltd.
- Axis Trustee Services Ltd.
- Axis Asset Management Company Ltd.
- Axis Mutual Fund Trustee Ltd.
- Axis Bank UK Ltd.
- Axis Securities Ltd.
- Axis Finance Ltd.
- Axis Securities Europe Ltd.
- A.Treds Limited
Awards and recognitions
- Best Debt House in India - Euromoney
- Best Domestic Debt House in India - Asiamoney
- Overall Winner & Consistent Performer -(Large Banks Category) - Business Today Best Bank Awards 2010
- Bank of the Year - Money Today FPCIL Awards 2012-13
- Best Private Sector Bank - CNBC-TV18 India’s Best Bank and Financial Institution Awards 2012
- Consistent Performer - India’s Best Banks – 2012 Survey by Business Today & KPMG
- Gold Shield for Excellence in Financial Reporting in the Private Banks category - 2011-12 - ICAI (Institute of Chartered Accountants of India)
- Axis Bank ranked No 1 company to work for in the BFSI sector - 'The Best Companies to Work for' survey by Business Today.
- Ranked No 1 in the IT Biz Award - large enterprises category by Express IT Awards
- Innovation for 2013 for Ladies First card under ‘the Most Innovative Broad Based Product Offering’ category- IBA Innovations Award.
- Axis Bank Foundation conferred Outstanding Corporate Foundation at Forbes India, Philanthropy Awards, 2014
- Best Domestic Bank in India- Asiamoney Best Banks 2014
- Best Bank Award among Large Banks for IT For Business Innovation- IDRBT Banking Technology Excellence Awards 2014
- Axis Bank featured for the fourth time in Asia's Fab50 companies for 2014 by Forbes Asia
- Best Bank for Rural Reach in the Private Sector and Best Retail Growth Performance in the Private Sector category- Dun & Bradstreet-Polaris Financial Technology Banking Awards 2014
- Axis Bank has been adjudged winner in the Best Bank Category, Outlook Money Awards 2015
- Axis Bank awarded for the Best Security among Private Sector Banks in India by Data Security Council of India (DSCI).
- Axis Bank conferred the Certificate of Recognition for excellence in Corporate Governance by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI), for the year 2015.
- Best Domestic Bank in India- Asiamoney Best Banks 2015
- Axis Bank's Mobile App tops Forrester Research's review of Smartphone Mobile Banking Apps in India.
- Axis Bank was selected as the Best Private Sector Bank under the category Rural Reach at the Dun & Bradstreet Banking Awards 2015
- Axis Bank has been conferred with IDRBT Best Bank Award for Digital Banking, Analytics & Big Data among large banks.
- Axis Bank has been featured in Limca Book of Records 2015 for creating a National Record for its campaign - 'Plant a Sapling'
- Axis bank has been awarded the title of Superbrand 2014-2015, by Superbrands
- No. 1 Promising Banking Brand of 2015, Economic Times Awards 2015
- Winner in the 'Best Payment Initiatives' category amongst Private Sector Banks, IBA Banking Technology Awards 2015
Axis Banks's equity shares are listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange of India. The company's global depository receipts (GDRs) are listed on the London Stock Exchange. The Bonds issued by the Bank under the MTN programme are listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- "Media Center - Corporate Profile". Axis Bank. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Axis Bank Financial Results". EarningsIndia. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- Axis Bank Annual Report PDF 2015-16
- "DISCLOSURE ON REMUNERATION" (PDF). Axisbank.com. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank: Reports, Company History, Directors Report, Chairman's Speech, Auditors Report of Axis Bank". Ndtv.com. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Statement showing shareholding pattern of the Promoter and Promoter Group". BSE. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "Statement showing shareholding pattern of the Public shareholder". BSE. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Kotak, Uday (27 October 2014). "Uday Kotak: Now, wait for the next Big Thing". Business Standard India. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "SUUTI money belongs to UTI investors and not to the government". Firstpost. 22 January 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank travel currency card volume crosses $2 bn mark". The Economic Times. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank travel currency card volume crosses $2 bn mark". The Indian Express. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "AXIS BANK REGS share price (AXB)". London Stock Exchange. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "India's Axis Bank seeks Gulf expansion with branch in Sharjah". The National. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank says SL has potential for international finance hub". Sunday Times Sri Lanka. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "India's Axis Bank opens Abu Dhabi office as Indians in UAE get richer". The National. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "The understated radical". Mint newspaper. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- Rebello, Joel. "Axis Bank launches its first overseas subsidiary". Mint newspaper. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank introduces Deepika Padukone as brand ambassador". Times of India. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank enters Bangladesh, opens representative office in Dhaka". The Hindu. 22 November 2015. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Annual Report for the year 2012-2013" (PDF). Axis Bank. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Business Profile". Axis Bank. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "The Young Turk". Business Today. 4 August 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Press Release Q4 FY 2013-14" (PDF). Axis Bank. 25 April 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Axis Bank inaugurates 10,000th ATM at Akurdi, Pune". Yahoo! Finance. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Axis Bank Continues to be the largest ATM network provider". Ground Report. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "World's Highest ATM in Sikkim". SevenDiary.com. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "中国银监会关于印度同心银行有限公司上海分行开业的批复". 中国银行业监督管理委员会. 28 August 2013.
- "Axis Bank enters Bangladesh, opens representative office in Dhaka". Business Standard India. 23 November 2015.
- "Axis Bank to open for business in Britain". Reuters. 11 July 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "RBI's list of Banks participating in NEFT". Reserve Bank of India. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "'Transaction banking huge focus for Axis Bank'". Economic Times. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "IDBI Trust, Kotak AMC, LIC among top entities holding $7 billion pledged shares of India Inc". The Economic Times. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Dash, Dillip Satapathy & Jayajit (28 April 2011). "Axis Bank to scale up global banking operations". Business Standard India. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank opens its representative office in Dhaka to strengthenits International presence". Sify. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Kumar, Ajay. "Axis Bank managers arrested for exploiting a gold scam money laundering loophole". Daily Mail. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- "Demonetisation: ED arrests 2 bank managers for laundering". Press Trust of India. 5 December 2016. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- Hazari, Hemindra (23 December 2016). "Axis Bank – A License to Launder?". The Wire. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- "RBI penalises Axis Bank, HDFC Bank and ICICI Bank". Reserve Bank of India. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- Gera, Ishaan (15 September 2016). "E-cash is in". The Financial Express. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank ready with UPI app, to tie-up with Freecharge". The Economic Times. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Our Bureau (2015-05-07). "Axis Bank launches 'Ping Pay' for fund transfers | Business Line". Business Line. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- Thakur, Meenal (16 December 2015). "Payment wallets bring convenience, but concerns emerge over safety, crowding". Mint newspaper. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank app gets augmented reality like Pokemon Go". Times of India. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank introduces augmented reality in its mobile application 'Near me'". The Economic Times. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank plans major Mobile Banking push". Bloomberg. 1 October 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Axis Bank ties up with Amazon, Visa to help startups in India". The Economic Times. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank first in India to launch innovation lab, Thought Factory". Banking Technology. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank launches 'Thought Factory'". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Zone Startups selected by Axis Bank to run Fintech Accelerator". India Infoline. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Ninan, Oommen a (11 October 2015). "Axis Bank continues to focus on increasing physical distribution footprint". The Hindu. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Nair, Bhavik (13 May 2015). "Axis Bank goes personal with loan app". The Financial Express. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Anand, Nupur (2 June 2015). "Now, book lockers via mobile phone". Business Standard India. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Ramalingam, Aparna. "Now, you can book a locker in Axis Bank with your smartphone". Times of India. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Jha, Sneha. "Axis Bank's digital strategy revealed". ETCIO.com. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Reporter, B. S. (28 June 2016). "Axis Bank forays into urban microfinance sector". Business Standard India. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Mehta, Sangita. "Axis Bank to launch NFC technology in multi-currency forex cards for overseas travellers". The Economic Times. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- K, Muthukumar (5 June 2016). "Cash in on forex cards". Business Line. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank launches multi-currency contactless card". The Economic Times. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank launches home loan scheme for lower income group". The Hindu. 3 April 2014. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Singh, Priyanka. "Axis Bank launches 30 year 'affordable housing' loan to lower income segment". Times of India. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Vishwanathan, Vivina (7 April 2014). "Product crack: Asha Home Loan". Mint (newspaper). Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank launches travel-currency card for students". Business Standard. 29 August 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Get eKYC Verified Online By Aadhaar Card In 2 Minutes | Mutual Funds". The Investment Mania. 2016-11-21. Retrieved 2016-12-11.
- "Have an Aadhaar card? Axis Bank now allows e-KYC to open account". First Post. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "2010 Asian Awards for excellence: By country". Euromoney. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Asia's best banks stand out". Asiamoney. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "India's best banks". Business Today. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank named Bank of the Year:'The Banker'". India Infoline. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "The winners of first Money Today FPCIL Awards". Business Today. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "MCX-SX presents CNBC TV18's *'India Best Banks and Financial Institutions Awards 2012'". India Infoline. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "India's Best Banks 2013". Business Today. 8 December 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Why Axis Bank is among the best companies to work for". Business Today. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Express IT Awards" (PDF). Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "IBA Awards for Innovation in Banking 2013" (PDF). Indian Banks' Association. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Forbes India Magazine - Fixing The Big Picture: Axis Bank Foundation". Forbes India. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Asiamoney Best Domestic Bank Awards". Asiamoney. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- Starz, Theme. "Banking Technology Excellence Awards 2014-15". IDRBT. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank on the Forbes Global 2000 List". Forbes.com. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Bank of Baroda and HDFC Bank Limited win top honours at the Dun & Bradstreet Polaris Financial Technology Banking Awards 2014 Dun & Bradstreet releases study on Indias Top Banks 2014". Dun & Bradstreet India. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Outlook Money Awards 2015: The Winning Set". Outlook Money. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Winners Data Security Council of India". Dsci.in. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "About 15th ICSI National Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance" (PDF). Icsi.edu. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Asiamoney Best Domestic Bank Awards". Asiamoney. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "2015 Indian Mobile Banking Functionality Benchmark". Forrester.com. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank mobile app tops other banks: Forrester". Business Standard India. 18 August 2015. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "INDIA'S TOP BANKS & BANKING AWARDS 2015". Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Banking Technology Excellence Awards 2015-16". Idrbt.ac.in. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "LARGEST PLANTATION DRIVE BY A BANK". Limca Book of Records. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "SUPERBRANDS 2015" (PDF). SuperbrandsIndia.com. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Economic Times Most Promising Brands 2015 unveiled | Best Media Info, News and Analysis on Indian Advertising, Marketing and Media Industry.". Best Media Info,. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "IBA Banking Technology Awards 2014-15" (PDF). Indian Banks' Association. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Listing Information - Axis Bank". Economic Times. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Axis Bank Limited GDR". London Stock Exchange. Retrieved 26 January 2014.