|Industry||Investments, Transportation, Food Processing|
Group Chairman & Managing Director
|Products||Wheat, Bread, Flour, Construction, Hotels & Resorts|
|Total assets||US$400+ million (2012)|
Number of employees
With headquarters at 62 Bombo Road, Kawempe, in northern Kampala, Uganda's largest city, the group's business activities extend to the countries of Burundi, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and South Sudan. Aya Group also maintains subsidiaries in Dubai, United Arab Emirates and in New York City. The company headquarters is located approximately 9 kilometres (5.6 mi), by road, north of the central business district of the city. The approximate coordinates of the Aya Group are 0°22'39.0"N, 32°33'17.0"E (Latitude:0.377500; Logitude:32.554725).
As of June 2014[update], the Aya Group was a fast-growing conglomerate. It is one of the largest corporate employers in Uganda, with over 5,000 people under payroll. With a total asset base in excess of US$400 million, the group is involved in the following business lines, among others: food processing, investments, transportation, real estate development, hospitality, mining, and merchandising.
The 300-room Kampala Hilton Hotel, under construction by Aya Investments, a subsidiary of the group, sits on Nakasero Hill in central Kampala. The hotel will cost over US$150 million to build and is Hilton Hotels' largest investment in Africa to-date. It will be Uganda's third 5-star hotel, next to the Kampala Serena Hotel, which was commissioned in 2006, and the Kampala Intercontinental Hotel, currently under construction. Because the majority of construction materials are sourced locally, the construction of this hotel has contributed enormously to Uganda's economy.
Fifi Transport Limited, another group subsidiary, owns a fleet of Mercedes Benz trucks.
This section does not cite any sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Aya Foundation is a non-profit charitable organization that was set up on the urging Mohammed Hamid, the Group Chairman. The foundation assists organizations that cater for needy children. One area that the foundation pays special attention to is the provision of pediatric medications.
The Aya Group includes but is not limited to the following companies:
- Aya Bakery Limited - Kampala, Uganda
- Aya Biscuits Limited - Kampala, Uganda
- Aya Foundation Limited - Kampala, Uganda - non-profit charity, helping needy children
- Aya Investments Limited - Kampala Uganda - Owners of Kampala Hilton Hotel - One of the only three 5-star hotels in Uganda
- Aya Mills Limited - Kampala, Uganda
- Fifi Transport Limited - Kampala, Uganda
- Pan Afric Commodities Limited - Kampala, Uganda
- Aya Minining Limited - Kampala, Uganda
- Aya Mohammed Trade Plc. - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Aya Property Developers Inc. - New York City
- Hilton Hotels
- List of tallest buildings in Kampala
- List of wealthiest people in Uganda
- List of conglomerates in Uganda
- Kawempe Division
- Kampala Capital City Authority
- "Distance Between Central Kampala And Kawempe With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Google. "Approximate Location of the Headquarters of Aya Group of Companies At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Allio, Emmy (14 June 2006). "Nakasero Hill Excites Hotelier". New Vision. Archived from the original on 15 August 2007. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Vision, Reporter (2012). "Uganda to Earn $45 Million Annually From Hilton Hotel". New Vision Mobile. Archived from the original on 2014-06-23. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- Newvision (29 April 2012). "I Juggled Business, Books At Eight Years". New Vision. Archived from the original on 8 November 2014. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Vision, Reporters (24 July 2005). "Pan-Afric Installs $2 Million Bakery". New Vision. Archived from the original on 23 June 2014. Retrieved 23 June 2014.