Ayago Power Station
|Ayago Power Station|
|Location||Ayago, Nwoya District|
|Dam and spillways|
|Name||Ayago Power Station|
|Commission date||2022 (Expected)|
|Installed capacity||600 MW|
Ayago Power Station is a proposed 600MW hydroelectric power project to be constructed in Uganda.
The Power Station will be located at Ayago (sometimes spelled Aiago), on the Victoria Nile, in Nwoya District. This location lies approximately 38 kilometres (24 mi), by road, south of Nwoya, the location of the district headquarters. This location is within the confines of Murchison Falls National Park.
Ayago Power Station is a 600 megawatts (800,000 hp) hydroelectric power plant that will be constructed on the Victoria Nile, downstream of Karuma Power Station, but upstream of Murchison Falls. The project will be developed in two simultaneous phases, known as Ayago North (estimated capacity:350MW) and Ayago South (estimated capacity:250MW). The Ayago Power Station is one of three hydropower projects that have been earmarked for immediate development, together with Karuma Power Station (600MW) and Isimba Power Station (183MW), to mitigate the chroninic, recalcitrant power shortages that have plagued Uganda since the 1990s, and to meet the projected national requirement of 1,130MW by 2023.
The Indian state-owned energy and manufacturing company, BHEL, had estimated the cost of the project at about US$350 in 2007. But that was for a project with planned capacity of 200MW to 300MW, back in 2007.
In 2008, the Government of Japan, through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), in collaboration with the Government of Uganda, began new preparations for fresh eviromental impact assessments, International bidding for a contractor and commitment as a lead funding source for the project.
In April 2013, the Government of Uganda awarded the US$1.9 billion construction contract to Mapa Construction and Trading Company Inc., a Turkish infrastructure construction company. However, in August 2013, that award was rescinded and the construction contract was awarded to China Gezhouba Construction Company. As of May 2014, it is not clear when construction will commence.
- List of power stations in Uganda
- List of hydropower stations in Africa
- List of hydroelectric power stations
- Nwoya District
- Northern Region, Uganda
- "Map Showing Nwoya And Ayago With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Onyalla, Harriette (21 March 2007). "Government Proposes 14 Dam Sites". New Vision. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Kasita, Ibrahim (1 February 2011). "Electricity Demand To Triple By 2023". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Kakande, John (31 January 2007). "Indian Firm To Build Power Dam In North". New Vision. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Kasita, Ibrahim (1 January 2008). "Japan To Send Experts For Ayago Power Project". New Vision. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Vision, Reporter (22 April 2013). "Turkish Company To Build Ayago Dam". New Vision. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Wesonga, Nelson (15 August 2013). "Ayago Power Project ‘Snatched’ From Turks". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Turkish Company To Build Ayago Power Station
- Photo of Undeveloped Ayago Falls In 2013 At In2eastafrica.net