|Native name||イモトアヤコ (井本 絢子)|
12 January 1986|
Tottori Prefecture, Japan
|Occupation||Comedian, television personality|
Ayako Imoto (イモトアヤコ (井本 絢子) Imoto Ayako, born 12 January 1986 in Tottori Prefecture) is a Japanese comedian and TV personality.
Imoto graduated from the third class of the Watanabe Comedy School (run by Watanabe Entertainment). During her 3rd year, she began working in entertainment as part of the comedy duo Tokyo Horumon Musume with fellow entertainer Barbie. She began appearing on the television variety program, Sekai no hatemade itteQ, in 2007, mainly as a reporter traveling to exotic locales and confronting the wildlife, earning her the nickname "rare beast hunter" (珍獣ハンター chinjū hantā). For her television appearances, she usually wears a sailor suit school uniform with thick painted eyebrows.
Attempt to climb Mount Everest
When Imoto reached the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro in June 2009 as part of the show Sekai no hatemade itteQ, she said that she wanted to climb Mount Everest someday. After she descended Manaslu in October 2013, she decided to climb Everest after Mr. Ishizaki, the director of the TV program who also reached the summit of Manaslu, said that if she did not, he would climb Mount Everest without her. Some mountaineering professionals opposed the project because it would make people think it was easy to climb, even though she would be employing a lot of professionals as helpers. She practiced hard in order to climb Mount Everest, but when she reached the Mount Everest base camp, thirteen Sherpas employed by another mountaineering party in Nepal died because of a major avalanche on April 18, 2014. Her Sherpas gave up the climb and Imoto abandoned the attempt. In a poll of the audience, about 44.5% wanted her to try again, but about 44.1% answered “No”. Nippon TV is considering their options.
- "Imoto Ayako intabyū". Terebi Dogatchi (in Japanese). Presentcast. Archived from the original on 8 December 2014. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "Who is Ayako Imoto? - Kuma Language Services". 2016-04-08. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- “珍獣ハンター”イモトアヤコが狙うのは“ドアラ”! 名古屋で対決 (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- 何はなくともビニールシート！ －イモトアヤコ流「海外サバイバルのオキテ」. President Online (in Japanese). Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- <Imoto Ayako> Kotoshi no Eberesuto tōchō o dannen (Imoto Ayako, gave up climbing Mount Everest this year). (2014, April 28). Yahoo! News. Retrieved:"Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-08-16. Retrieved 2014-12-04. [May 25, 2014]
- Imoto Iyoiyo 「Eberesuto chōsen」 Himaraya・Manasuru tōchō seikō no tsugi wa (Imoto succeeds in reaching the summit of Manaslu in the Himalayas. Next, she will “try to climb Mount Everest”). (2013, November 11). J Cast News. Retrieved:http://www.j-cast.com/2013/11/11188601.html [July 15, 2014].
- Sato, Y. (2013, November 17). Eberesuto wa Muri!? 「Itte Q!」 Imoto Ayako no Tōzan Kikaku ni Sanpi (Imoto may not be able to climb Mount Everest. Some opposition to the project). Livedoor NEWS. Retrieved:http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/8260067/ [July 15, 2014].
- Imoto Ayako no Eberesto tōchō dannen mondai saichōsen shite hoshii? (Imoto Ayako gave up climbing Mount Everest. Do you want her to try again?). (2014, May 9). The Real Live Web. Retrieved:http://npn.co.jp/article/detail/50435854/ [May 25, 2014].
- Official agency profile (in Japanese)