|Known for||Character design, illustration|
|Notable work||Castlevania series|
Ayami Kojima (小島 文美, Kojima Ayami) is a Japanese artist. She has often worked in video games as a character designer and is most known for her work on the Castlevania series of video games with Konami. She is self-taught and enjoys reading shōnen manga.
Ayami Kojima is a self-taught artist, born in Tokyo, Japan. She is a character designer and illustrator for video games. Kojima's hobbies include reading manga and drawing for other authors. She has also published self-made works. Her first work in the video game industry was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night which released in 1997. In the few years following Symphony of the Night's release, she worked on several more entries in the Castlevania series, including Castlevania Chronicles in 2001, Harmony of Dissonance in 2002, and Aria of Sorrow and Lament of Innocence in 2003. In the mid-to-late 2000s, Kojima worked on games such as Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, Samurai Warriors 3, Sangokushi TCG, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, Dynasty Warriors 7, Dynasty Warriors 8, and Castlevania: Harmony of Despair.
Kojima's work schedule slowed during the 2010s, though she returned to the Castlevania series for the 2019 mobile title Grimoire of Souls. Also in 2019, a spiritual successor to Symphony of the Night titled Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night was released, with several former key Castlevania staff members involved. Kojima stated she could "only offer a small amount of time" for the project, and illustrated the packaging artwork for physical copies given to certain Kickstarter backers.
Media which Kojima has often employed in paintings include the use of molding paste, Conté Crayon, acrylics, India ink, gloss polymer medium, stumps and finger smudging. Generally speaking, the sketch and composition is laid out using the Conté crayon. Shadows are darkened monochromatically using both Conté and India ink. The color composition is then blocked in using diluted acrylics. The three-dimensional textured aspects in the majority of her paintings are created using molding paste and a palette knife. During the addition of stronger colors additional water and the artists' fingers (smudging) are used to create the glowing gradiation which is apparent in much of Kojima's artwork. Once the base paint is finished, metallic paints are applied with a palette knife. Glows and highlights are enhanced using a gloss polymer medium.
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Konami, 1997)
- Söldnerschild (Koei, 1998)
- Chou-Denki Card Battle: Youfu Makai - Kikuchi Shuugyou (Koubunsha, 1999)
- Castlevania Chronicles (Konami, 2001)
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (Konami, 2002)
- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Konami, 2003)
- Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (Konami, 2003)
- Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (Konami, 2005)
- Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (Konami, 2007)
- Samurai Warriors 3 Artbook (Koei, 2009)
- Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (Konami, 2010)
- Dynasty Warriors 7 Artbook (Koei, 2011)
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Artwork Packaging (ArtPlay, 2019)
- Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls (Konami, 2019)
- Alexandrite (Shikiko Yamaai, 2006)
- Island of Depraved Angels(堕天使の島)(Yama Ai Himeko, 2011)
- Shikisai Oukoku vol. 3(1999)
- Bozon, Mark (18 January 2007). "IGN: Castlevania: The Retrospective". IGN. Archived from the original on 2 November 2007. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- Tyni, Heikki (March 2020). "Double Duty: Crowdfunding and the Evolving Game Production Network". Games and Culture. 15 (2): 114–137. doi:10.1177/1555412017748108. ISSN 1555-4120. S2CID 149319389.
- Fernandez-Vara, Clara (2010). "Dracula Defanged: Empowering the Player in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night". MIT Web Domain. hdl:1721.1/100408. ISSN 1923-2691.
- Hall, Charlie (27 December 2018). "Bloodstained drops support for Mac and Linux, apologizes to backers". Polygon. Retrieved 12 May 2022.
- Porter, Matt (26 May 2015). "Ayami Kojima Joins Bloodstained Kickstarter Backer Rewards". IGN. Archived from the original on 26 May 2015. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- Wizards of the Coast LLC (19 November 2021). "Magic the Gathering". Magic the Gathering.
- Santa Lilio Sangre Artbook Official website (in Japanese)
- Vampire Killer: Castlevania Gallery and Translation Resource
- Naïmoka: The Artworks' Sanctuary - Ayami Kojima
- La Villa di Cauchemar - Ayami Kojima Archived 2005-04-15 at the Wayback Machine
- Kelesis Home Page - Ayami Kojima
- Creative Uncut - Artist Profile: Ayami Kojima