At the premiere of Moonlight at the Jio MAMI Film Club, 2017
|Native name||অয়ন মুখার্জি|
15 August 1983
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
|Parent(s)||Amrit and Deb Mukherjee|
|Relatives||Ashutosh Gowariker (brother-in-law)|
Ayan Mukerji (or Mukherjee) (born 15 August 1983) is an Indian film director, from the cinema prominent Mukherjee-Samarth family. Mukherjee made his directorial debut at the age of 26 with the coming-of-age comedy Wake Up Sid, a 2009 film, produced by Karan Johar. The film opened to strong reviews and box office returns. His next release, the 2013 romantic comedy Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani, ranks among one of the Highest-grossing Hindi films of all time.
Early life and background
Mukerji was born in a Bengali Brahmin family in Kolkata, West Bengal. He is the son of Bengali film actor Deb Mukherjee. His grandfather Sashadhar Mukherjee, was a film producer, who established Filmalaya Studios in Mumbai, and produced films like Dil Deke Dekho (1959), Love in Simla (1960), Ek Musafir Ek Hasina (1962) and Leader (1964). The studio is still run by his extended family. He is also the nephew of Joy Mukherjee, first cousin of Kajol and Tanisha Mukherjee and second cousin of Rani Mukerji and part of the larger Mukherjee-Samarth family.
Mukherji started his career as an assistant to Ashutosh Gowariker, his brother-in-law, on the 2004 film, Swades, and later to Johar on Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna. After taking a short break from filmmaking, Mukerji wrote the screenplay for Wake Up Sid and gave it to Johar who decided it should become a film. The film starred Konkona Sen Sharma and Ranbir Kapoor in lead roles and went on to become a commercial and critical success.
Mukerji's next film, also under Karan Johar's banner Dharma Productions, was Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani, with Deepika Padukone and Ranbir Kapoor in lead roles. It was a huge commercial success. The movie grossed Rs. 1 billion at the box office in just 7 days. It became the fourth highest grossing Indian movie of all time.
Although Mukerji belongs to a Bengali family, he said he will never make a Bengali film because it would not reach many people.
Controversies and allegations
An Oshiwara-based executive producer, Ragini Nagar, has alleged that Mukherji approached her via Facebook and demanded sexual favors in exchange for participation in an upcoming film. Mukherji has since denied the allegation claiming that the Facebook account in question was not his. A case has been filed with the Oshiwara police.
|2009||Wake Up Sid||Filmfare Award for Best Debut Director|
|2013||Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Director|
- Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (cameo appearance)
- Luck by Chance (2009) – Special Thanks credit
- Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (cameo appearance)
- Home Delivery (2005) (cameo appearance)
- Besharam – Special Thanks credit
- Gippi – Special Thanks credit
2010: Filmfare Awards
- "Wake Up Sid wows critics and masses alike!". Hindustan Times.
- Taran Adarsh (3 October 2009). "B.O. update: 'Wake Up Sid', 'Do Knot Disturb' bring cheer". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 3 October 2009.
- "Ayan Mukherjee wants to remake grandpa's 'Love in Simla'". The Times of India. 17 May 2013. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Waking up Ayan". MiD DAY. 12 August 2009. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "In pics: Bollywood's Mukherjee-Samarth family tree". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- :::: Time Out Mumbai- city guide and fortnightly listing magazine :::: Archived 15 June 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Pulp Prodigy". intoday.in.
- "Trade Report Wake Up Sid wows critics and masses alike!". Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- Iyer, Meena (21 September 2011). "Deepika, Ranbir together again". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "Ranbir, Deepika share amicable equation: Ayan Mukerji". Archived from the original on 26 September 2011. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "Ranbir Kapoor To Play A Superhero In Ayan Mukerji's Next". www.filmibeat.com.
- "Ayan Mukerji: Would love to make a Superman film". NDTVMovies.com.
- "Mumbai: Complaint filed against director 'Ayan Mukerji' for demanding sexual favours". Retrieved 2016-08-23.
- "3 Idiots shines at Filmfare Awards". The Times of India.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ayan Mukerji.|
- Ayan Mukerji at the Internet Movie Database
- Waking up Ayan
- "Somewhere in Wake up Sid, are bits and pieces of my life" – Ayan Mukerji