This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: language, and lack of additional citations (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Hanung Bramantyo|
|Produced by||Dhamoo Punjabi|
|Written by||Habiburrahman El Shirazy|
Retna Ginatri S. Noor
|Based on||Ayat-Ayat Cinta|
by Habiburrahman El Shirazy
Zaskia Adya Mecca
|Music by||Melly Goeslaw|
|Distributed by||MD Pictures|
|Box office||US$13.00 million|
Ayat-Ayat Cinta (English: The Verses of Love) is an Indonesian drama film from MD Pictures, Producer Manoj Punjabi and Dhamoo Punjabi. Starring as main casts are Fedi Nuril, Rianti Cartwright, Carissa Putri, Melanie Putria, and Zaskia Adya Mecca. It is a romantic religious drama based on the bestselling novel with the same title by Habiburrahman El Shirazy. While the story is set in Cairo, Egypt, the film was shot in India and Semarang, Indonesia. Ayat-Ayat Cinta was released on February 28, 2008 in Indonesia, May 8, 2008 in Singapore, and June 19, 2008 in Malaysia.
Upon release, it was one of the most successful Indonesian film, and was the first Indonesian film to reach 3.5 million tickets sold, only to be surpassed by Laskar Pelangi a few months later. Both films are the only film to surpass more than 3 million audiences before 2010s. In 2016 during the screening of Rudy Habibie, a sequel was confirmed to be in development; to be released in December 2017.
The clever Fahri bin Abdillah goes on scholarship to Egypt to undertake study for a master's degree in Islam at Al-Azhar University, Cairo; his parents had to sell their rice field to help him as well.
Fahri has a plan for his life to be achieved through his perseverance and discipline. He plans to marry when his thesis is accepted. He has yet to have a close relationship with a woman beyond what he had with his mother and grandmother.
The Indonesian student Nurul did not recognize her attraction to Fahri. Nurul, a daughter of a well-regarded Muslim cleric in Indonesia, made Fahri think himself unworthy.
The humble next door Egyptian neighbor, Noura, had empathy for Fahri since he got a scholarship but she romantically interpreted the feelings and this led to an accusation of rape.
Aisha's beautiful eyes captured Fahri's heart and in the metro when Fahri defended Islam from being narrow-minded, Aisha fell in love with him. Before marriage, Fahri sought to satisfy the desire in his heart and follow his religious faith in pursuit of this relationship.
Ayat-Ayat Cinta had a released date on December 19, 2007, there were problems and it premiered on February 28, 2008.
Comparison to novel
In the novel:
- Maria has a younger brother, Youssef; in the film she is an only child.
- Fahri is arrested and imprisoned on religious grounds by the respected scholars Professor Abdul Rauf, Ismail, Hamada, Haj Rashed and Marwan. In the film, Fahri is accused and imprisoned for being a cruel, yet wise culprit.
- The American reporter Alicia returns to Egypt to visit Fahri, a recent Muslim convert; in the film she never converts.
|Ayat-Ayat Cinta Soundtrack|
|Soundtrack album by |
The film's title track Ayat-Ayat Cinta was selected as the lead single from the album soundtrack to promote the film, and met with critical and commercial success. A music video was also made for the single.
- "Ayat-Ayat Cinta" (Rossa) — 3:48
- "Jalan Cinta" (Sherina) — 4:32
- "Takdir Cinta" (Rossa) — 3:32
- "Tercipta Untukku" (featuring Rossa) (Ungu) — 4:25
- "Andai Ku Tahu" (Ungu) — 4:46
- "Opening Scene" (Music Scoring) — 2:41
- "Letter From Noura" (Music Scoring) — 1:18
- "Thalagi" (Music Scoring) — 1:13
- "The Basket" (Music Scoring) 1:06
- "Ayat-Ayat Cinta" (Minus One) — 3:47
- "Jalan Cinta" (Minus One) — 4:32
- "Takdir Cinta" (Minus One) — 3:30
During the screening of Rudy Habibie, a sequel for the film was confirmed. It is titled Ayat-Ayat Cinta 2, this time, it was directed by Guntur Soehardjanto, while Alim Sudio and Ifan Ismail writing the script. The film was released on December 21, 2017.
- "Acts of Faith". 2008-06-15.
- "Ayat-ayat cinta (Verses of Love) - Box Office Gross". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Di Balik Layar Pembuatan AAC" Archived 2008-05-11 at the Wayback Machine
- "Film 'Ayat-Ayat Cinta 2' siap diproduksi". Rappler (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2017-11-04.
- Nuril, Fedi; Sandra, Dewi; Islan, Chelsea (2017-12-21), Ayat-Ayat Cinta 2, retrieved 2017-11-04
- "Yang Berbeda dari Film Ayat Ayat Cinta 2 | Republika Online". Republika Online. Retrieved 2017-10-20.