6 June 1981
|Spouse(s)||Sarah-Jane Honeywell (2016–present)|
Ayden Callaghan (born Joseph Callaghan on 6 June 1981) is an English actor of both stage and screen, best known for playing the part of Joe Roscoe on Channel 4's Hollyoaks.and Miles De Souza in British ITV series Emmerdale.
Ayden Callaghan, born Joseph Callaghan in Aylesbury Joseph took the professional name Ayden when he started acting. Ayden's family have a rich Northern Irish heritage, as well as strong roots in the East End of London. He lived in Winslow, Buckinghamshire from the age of three.
Callaghan is a supporter of Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C..
Ayden is married to TV presenter, actress and award winning blogger (www.honeymumster.com), Sarah-Jane Honeywell. They got engaged on 18 November 2014 on the Empire State building in New York City. They were married at Nunsmere Hall Hotel on 17 September 2016, which was covered by celebrity magazine OK!.
On 17 May 2015, Callaghan and his fiancee announced they are expecting their first child. Their baby boy, Phoenix, was born on 25 August 2015.
Callaghan trained as an actor at the Guildford School of Acting and graduated in 2004 after a three-year course, where he achieved a BADC-Level II gold grade too. He is managed by Burnett Crowther Associates Ltd. and member of Equity (trade union). Ayden's career so far has encompassed many roles in TV, Film and Stage productions including 'Bedroom Farce' directed by the legendary Sir Peter Hall, Callaghan was cast in this off the back of his performance in another Alan Ayckbourn play 'If I Were You'. Callaghan has also fronted numerous international commercials.
He played the popular Joe Roscoe a fictional character on the Channel 4 soap opera Hollyoaks. He made his first appearance on-screen on 23 May 2013. The Roscoe's were one of the most popular families to join the soap in a long time and the programme went on to win 'Best Soap' at the Soap Awards for the first time ever in 19 years, the year after they joined. While in Hollyoaks, Ayden was asked to be on the front cover of a charity edition of Gay Times. He was also named in the, Top 12 Hottest Hunks, ever to be on the show in 21 years.
He played the part of Miles De Souza, a fictional character on the ITV soap opera Emmerdale, making his first appearance on 1 November 2007. During the Inside Soap Awards 2007 in September, Callaghan chatted to DS about his mysterious character.
In an interview on the Emmerdale website, he commented on his on-screen persona:
"Miles is like a lost little boy with lots of problems to work though,” Callaghan told itv.com. “He’s bordering on being an alcoholic and when you have a drink problem it’s always there in the back of your mind, like a demon.”
S: series. E: episode
- Hollyoaks - 2013 to 2016 - series regular - playing Joe Roscoe
- Bad Education - 2012-2014 - Two episode - Sgt Ron - series written by and starring Jack Whitehall - Tiger Aspect Productions
- EastEnders - 2012 - three episodes - playing PC Lomax
- Casualty - 2012 - S26 E28 - playing Mick Statham
- The Bill- 2010 - S26 E20 - "Walk on My Grave" - playing Ian Whittle.
Prior to Emmerdale, Callaghan also had roles in:
- Casualty (TV series)- 2007 - S22 E7 - "Inappropriate Behaviour" - playing Alistair Kelly.
- Supergrass (Docu-drama) - 2007 - directed by Steve Finnigan - playing Phil Morris.
- The Basil Brush Show (2002 TV series) - 2006 - S5 E3 - "Toothache" - playing Nurse Denham.
- Sugar Rush (TV series) - 2006 - S2 E7 - uncredited.
- Sugar Rush (TV series) - 2005 - S1 E7 - playing a barman.
- Hollyoaks: Let Loose - 2005 - S1 E9 - playing Dave.
Ayden presented an award at the IFTAs in 2008 and appeared on RTEs prime time breakfast show.
- The Battle of Monte Camino (2003) - short movie directed by Simeon Lumgair, playing Pvt. Gabriel.
- The Harvester (2004) - short movie directed by Mike Dean, playing Marcus.
- Goal! (2005) - movie directed by Danny Cannon, playing a Newcastle United F.C. reserve.
- The Best Years (2008) - movie directed and written by Danny Patrick, playing Shorty or Otto. In production. UK release date: 2009.
- The bus driver (2010) - 70 minute science fiction film directed and written by Stuart Dunlop, playing Liam.
- The night the creatures came alive (2010) - movie directed by Stuart Dunlop and written and produced by Daniel Birt, Stuart Dunlop & Michelle Edwards, playing Pete. This film was written and produced within 28 days and submitted as part of "The 28 Days Later National Film Challenge" - FEB 2010.
- "Two Days In The Smoke" (2012) - Slate 4 Films - movie directed by Ben Pickering, playing Liam.
- "Krish and Lee" (2012) - "Jaffa Films" - movie directed by Peter Peralta, playing Detective Thomson.
- "Death Scenes" (2012) - "BloodyCuts" - short film directed by Joel Morgan, playing the role of D.I. Collins.
- Guildford School of Acting experience: Benedick, Much Ado About Nothing; Guildenstern, Rosencrantz And Guildenstern are Dead; Dr. Wangel, The Lady from the Sea; Mr. Poyser, Adam Bede; Jellaby, Arcadia. Tybalt, Romeo & Juliet (film).
- 2004 - Balm in Gilead - "The Mill Studio" Guildford - directed by Michael Crompton - playing Xavier.
- 2004 - Someone Who'll Watch Over Me - "Gateway Theatre" Edinburgh - directed by Bruce Guthrie - playing Edward.
- 2005 - Someone Who'll Watch Over Me - "The Venue" Leicester Square Palace - directed by Bruce Guthrie - playing Edward.
- 2005 - Romeo and Juliet - "Stafford Gatehouse" Stafford Castle - directed by Peter Dayson - playing Tybalt.
- 2006 - The Long and the Short and the Tall - "Pleaseance Theatre" Islington - 19 September/7 October 2006 - directed by Bruce Guthrie - playing Sgt.Mitchem.
- 2007 - The Elephant Man - "Trafalgar Studio" London - directed by Bruce Guthrie - playing Dr. Treves.
- 2009 - Why didn't I tell you how much I loved you (Carmen revised)(Reading) - "Royal Albert Hall " London - directed by Hettie MacDonald - Playing Paddy (Don Jose).
- 2010 - If I were You - "Theatre Royal" Windsor (18–29 May 2010) and National Tour ("Richmond Theatre" Richmond 31 May - 5 Jun 2010 / "Cambridge Arts Theatre" Cambridge 7 - 12 Jun 2010 / "Devonshire Park Theatre" Eastbourne 21 - 26 Jun 2010) - directed by Joe Harmston - Playing Dean.
- 2010 - "Bedroom Farce" - "National Tour" - directed by Sir Peter Hall - playing Malcolm
- 2011 - "Beautiful Blows" - "Royal Festival Hall" - directed by Ben May - playing Len/Mike Turner
- Buckingham Today - TV soap stars set to play in charity Winslow football match
- The GSA for Acting and Musical Theatre: Class of 2004 Acting
- BADC-Level II Archived 3 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Callaghan's profile page c/o Burnett Granger Crowther associates Ltd Archived 2 December 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Emmerdale's newest cast member chats to DS at The Inside Soao Awards 2007[permanent dead link]
- ITV's exclusive video interview with Ayden Callaghan Archived 28 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- "'Emmerdale' cast head for the door", Digital Spy. URL last accessed 2008-04-08.
- "'Emmerdale' cast rumours aplenty", Digital Spy. URL last accessed 2008-07-17.
- A short clip from "The Battle of Monte Camino"
- The Best Years at the Internet Movie Database
- Poster Archived 22 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- 28 Days Later National Film Challenge[permanent dead link]
- Creative First - Projects
- "CARMEN REVISED MARCH 2009" Archived 2 October 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- "If I were you"[permanent dead link]