|Single by Davido|
|Released||February 1, 2014|
|Davido singles chronology|
"Aye" (pronounced ah yay) is a song by Nigerian recording artist Davido, released as the fourth single from his upcoming studio album. The song was produced by TSpize, a record producer affiliated with Runtown. It peaked at number 5 on MTV Base's Official Naija Top 10 chart from March 28 through April 3, 2014. The song was primarily released to celebrate Valentine's Day.
Upon its release, the song was met with great reception. Micheal Abimboye of Premium Times commented on the song, stating that "over T-Spice's mid tempo beats, Davido sometimes mimics Wande Coal's rhyming style. The beat is reminiscent of that made popular by kegite clubs. The cool tempo makes the song enjoyable and reminds one of an old school video of a generation past slow-grooving to high-life in a jazz club."
A writer for Fuse stated that "Aye's melody and instrumental is charismatic. It has a way of making your head move even when the forces beyond human nature tries to deny it. From the pressing musical notes on the guitar we can agree that this is a song best enjoyed with a live band. Aye provides a sing along vibe that catches the lips of both old and young as they hold on to their Gele' (head gear) or do the Bata dance while singing happily...Aye is an evergreen song of our time that can be played alongside legendary hits from respected icons of the 70's and 80's."
David Drake of Pitchfork Media said that "perhaps the sweetest song of devotion yet written, Davido's "Aye" boils over with sincerity, its thicket of rhythms eventually taking shape as clean, piercing guitar lines cut through to provide a melodic counterpoint."
The music video for "Aye" was shot and directed in Nigeria by Clarence Peters. It was uploaded onto YouTube on February 7, 2014, at a total length of 4 minutes and 11 seconds. In the music video, Davido plays a poor farmer who is physically attracted to a princess. On "Aye", he professes his love for his admirer. Davido took the unconventional route by shooting the video in a rural setting. The locality of the area where the video was shot complements the lyrics of the song. According to YouTube's first quarter report, it was the most watched video by Nigerians on the video sharing site.
"Aye" won the Hottest Single of the Year category at the 2014 Nigeria Entertainment Awards. The song was nominated for Most Popular Song of the Year at the 2014 City People Entertainment Awards. The music video for "Aye" was nominated for Most Gifted Male, Most Gifted Afro Pop, Most Gifted West and Most Gifted Video of the Year at the 2014 Channel O Music Video Awards. "Aye" was nominated for Best Pop Single and won Song of the Year at The Headies 2014.
|Year||Awards ceremony||Award description(s)||Results|
|2014||The Headies||Best Pop Single||Nominated|
|Song of the Year||Won|
|Channel O Music Video Awards||Most Gifted Male||Nominated|
|Most Gifted Afro Pop||Nominated|
|Most Gifted West||Nominated|
|Most Gifted Video of the Year||Nominated|
|Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Hottest Single of the Year||Won|
|City People Entertainment Awards||Most Popular Song of the Year||Nominated|
|2014||1||Nigeria||YouTube's 2014 Most-Watched Music Videos in Nigeria|
|YNaija||4||Nigeria||The 10 Best Songs of 2014|
|The Fader||81||United States||The FADER's 116 Best Tracks Of 2014|
Covers and remixes
- "Davido's Aye cover" (Bereg version) - 3:57
- "Aye" (H20 Cover) -3:23
|Nigeria||February 1, 2014||Standard||HKN Music|
- "iTunes - Music - Aye - Single by DaVido". Itunes.apple.com. 2014-02-01. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Aye: Test of staying power". National Mirror. 14 February 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- BlackHouse Media (BHM) (2010-06-22). "Davido's Past Is Better Than Some People's Future—Bovi Says On MTV Base' Official Naija Top Ten". ModernGhana.com. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Music - Davido - Aye". thenigerianvoice.com. 2014-02-03. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Davido Bought His "Aye" Song From Runtown | INFORMATION NIGERIA". Informationng.com. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Review: Wande Coal, Davido "go slow" on new love songs, Plan B, Aye - Premium Times Nigeria". Premiumtimesng.com. 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "#4 REASONS WHY WE LOVE DAVIDO'S AYE | FuseFuse | Explosive Entertainment Everyday!". Fuse.com.ng. Archived from the original on 2014-04-05. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- Drake, David (17 December 2014). "The Most Essential Nigerian Afropop Tracks of 2014". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-02-23. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- "Hot new songs for Valentine's Day | Africa Magic". Africamagic.dstv.com. 2014-02-13. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Davido Shows A New Side In "Aye" | Silverbird Television". Silverbirdtv.com. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Davido releases new video, Aye « The Eagle Online - The Nigerian Online Newspaper The Eagle Online - The Nigerian Online Newspaper". Theeagleonline.com.ng. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "FAB Video: Watch new Video Release, 'AYE' by Davido, produced by Clarence Peters « FAB BLOG". Fabmagazineonline.com. 2014-02-07. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Davido's Aye most watched YouTube Video". vanguardngr.com. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Aye most watched YouTube video". bellanaija.com. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Nigeria: Davido's 'Aye' Most Watched Video On Youtube". allafrica.com. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Nigerian Entertainment Awards; Full List of Winners". Daily Times of Nigeria. 1 September 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Jasanya, Olamide (24 June 2014). "Who won what at City People Entertainment Awards 2014". Nigerian Entertainment Today. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- Marshall, Rhodé (5 September 2014). "Channel O Africa announces Music Video Awards nominees". Mail & Guardian. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- Ochugba, Mary (10 October 2014). "The Headies unveils 2014 nominees". Business Day. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- Showemimo, Dayo (11 December 2014). "Davido's 'Aye' video is YouTube's 2014 most-watched music video in Nigeria". Nigerian Entertainment Today. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- Okiche, Wilfred. "Aye, Johnny, Iyawo mi… These are the 10 best songs of 2014". YNaija. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- Lahan, Tim. "The FADER's 116 Best Tracks Of 2014". The Fader. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Bereg - Davido's Aye cover (Female version)". 360Nobs.com. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- on YouTube