Ayhan Bilgen (1st from the right) with fellow HDP politicians
|Member of Parliament|
June 2015 – June 2018
|Mayor of Kars|
|Assumed office |
31 March 2019
In 2006 he was engaged in the Turkish Human Rights association Mazlumder in which activity he opposed the new Anti-Terror bill by the Turkish Government as it limited the freedom of expression. In 2011 the newspaper he was the editor in chief of, Günlük, was closed by the Turkish authorities due to suspected support of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK). He was elected to the Turkish parliament for Kars as a representative for the HDP in the general election of June 2015, and again the snap elections of November 2015. He supported the defense of Kobani against the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIL) in Kobani and was prosecuted for taking part in manifestations in October 2014 during the Siege of Kobani. He was arrested in spring 2017 and released in September of the same year. During his parliamentary career he advocated for Human Rights, Kurdish rights and the protection of the environment. In the local elections of March 2019 he was elected the Mayor of Kars. In May 2020, after several Municipalities won by the HDP were put under the authority of state appointed trustees, Bilgen received the support from dozens of human rights organization.
- "Ayhan Bilgen Kimdir ? - Ayhan Bilgen Hayatı ve Biyografisi". www.haberler.com. Retrieved 2020-05-17.
- "122 Institutions Express Support for Kars Co-Mayors Bilgen and Alaca". Bianet. Retrieved 17 May 2020.
- "New Anti-Terror Bill Incites More Violence". Bianet. Retrieved 17 May 2020.
- "itemid":%5b"001-116134"%5d} "CASE OF GÜDENOĞLU AND OTHERS v. TURKEY". European Court of Human Rights. Retrieved 17 May 2020.
- ""Günlük" newspaper banned over alleged "terrorist propaganda"". IFEX. 2009-08-28. Retrieved 2020-05-17.
- Şafak, Yeni (2020-05-17). "Kars Election Result 2015 - General Election 2015". Yeni Şafak (in Turkish). Retrieved 2020-05-17.
- Şafak, Yeni (2020-05-17). "Kars Election Result 2015 - November 2015 General Election". Yeni Şafak (in Turkish). Retrieved 2020-05-17.
- "Arrested HDP MP Bilgen To Be Released Pending Trial". Bianet. Retrieved 17 May 2020.
- "HDP Delegation Not Allowed into Dersim". Bianet. Retrieved 17 May 2020.
- Şafak, Yeni (2020-05-17). "Kars Election Results – March 31 2019 Kars Local Election results". Yeni Şafak (in Turkish). Retrieved 2020-05-17.
|This article about a Kurd is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|