|Peter Ayodele Fayose|
|Governor of Ekiti State|
Assumed office |
16 Oct 2014
|Preceded by||Kayode Fayemi|
29 May 2003 – 16 October 2006
|Preceded by||Niyi Adebayo|
|Succeeded by||Tunji Olurin|
15 November 1960 (age 57)|
|Political party||People's Democratic Party (PDP)|
Fayose grew up in Oyo State where he attended Olivet Baptist High School, Oyo In 1985, Fayose was admitted for a Higher National Diploma (HND) programme in Biological Sciences/Applied Medical/Biology by The Polytechnic, Ibadan and graduated in 1987. While doing his National Youth Service Corps program at Pepsi Nigeria Limited, Ibadan, he was engaged in installation, maintenance and servicing of medical and laboratory equipment.
After the youth service, Fayose traveled out of the country during which he was exposed to a broad spectrum of business that guided his life later.
Fayose and Politics
Fayose became the second governor of Ekiti on 29 May 2003 after defeating the then incumbent Governor Niyi Adebayo in the gubernatorial elections. Fayose could not complete his tenure as a result of an impeachment on 16 October 2006.
During the 2014 Governorship election in Ekiti State, Peter Ayodele Fayose was again the PDP nominee. He won the election and was declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission as the new Governor of Ekiti State; he was inaugurated on 16 Oct 2014. Fayose is now the only Nigerian to defeat an incumbent two times.
Fayose has publicly declared his intentions to run for president in Nigerian general election, 2019. Though his party, The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has admonished the Governor, against his ambition to be the party’s presidential candidate in 2019.
Allegation of Vote Rigging
An army intelligence officer Captain Sagir Koli of the Nigerian Army 32nd Artillery Brigade, secretly recorded a vote-rigging plan on June 20, 2014 when he was asked to accompany his then commanding Officer, Brigadier General Aliyu Momoh, to a meeting at Spotless Hotel in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State.
The 37-minute audio recording was attended by the eventual “winner” of the election, Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State; Senator Iyiola Omisore of Osun State; a member of the National Assembly Abdul Kareem; the Minister for Police Affairs Alhaji Jelili Adesiyan; the former Minister for Police Affairs and navy captain Caleb Olubolade; the Minister of State for Defense Senator Musiliu Obanikoro and PDP Anambra chieftain and failed senate candidate Chris Uba, as they bribed army Brigadier General Momoh with a rank promotion for his assistance in carrying out election fraud in Ekiti State.
For exposing the vote-rigging of the Ekiti State governor election of Fayose, Captain Sagir Koli was praised by the military for his “non-partisanship and professional conduct during the election period.”
Bank Accounts Blocked by EFCC
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission froze four Zenith Bank accounts used by Fayose to launder money for his Ekiti governorship election in 2014 in a lawsuit no. FHC/CS?871/2016 titled “Federal Republic of Nigeria Vs Zenith bank PLC account numbers 1003126654, 9013074033, 1010170969 and 1013835889.”
The judge Justice Mohammed Idris had granted the EFCC on June 24, 2016 an order freezing all the funds in the said accounts in Zenith Bank. Two accounts belong to Governor Ayo Fayose while the third belongs to his hotel Spotless Hotel in Ado Ekiti. The fourth account was operated by one of Fayose’s aides, Abiodun Agbele, who is under EFCC custody.
The EFCC had alleged that those accounts possessed funds, said to be about N4.7 billion (US$20mn)stolen from the office of the National Security Adviser, with most of the money secretly retained by Fayose for his personal use after the election.
Challenged Aisha Buhari To Travel To USA
On June 22, 2016, Fayose had claimed that Aisha Buhari, the wife of the Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari was the same person (who had claimed to be a daughter of General Muhammadu Buhari) indicted by a US Court for transferring $170,000 to indicted US Congressman, Williams Jefferson, in the William J. Jefferson corruption case involving Halliburton and that she was avoiding arrest by US authorities by failing to accompany her husband on his three presidential visits to the United States.
However, when Aisha Buhari travelled to Washington DC in August 4, 2016, Fayose subsequently claimed that her US visit did not invalidate the Haliburton judgement against her, saying "Has traveling to the US invalidated the judgment that said Aisha Buhari transferred $170,000 to Jefferson’s account? “Has traveling to the US erased the fact that Aisha Buhari transferred $170,000 to Williams Jefferson?
- Governor donates building to Olivet Heights, Oyo State - Ekiti State - News Retrieved 2007-10-13
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-22. "Fayose the comeback kid and future of Ekiti"
- Ukwu, Jerrywright (2017-09-28). "I want to run for presidency in 2019 because of my love for Nigeria - Governor Fayose declares (photos, video)". Naij.com - Nigeria news. Retrieved 2017-10-07.
- "2019 Presidential election: PDP warns Fayose - Daily Post Nigeria". Daily Post Nigeria. 2017-09-27. Retrieved 2017-10-07.
- "How Obanikoro, Fayose, Chris Uba And Brig. General Momoh Rigged Ekiti Governorship Election In Collusion With The Nigeria Army"
- "Tope Aluko reveals how Governor rigged Ekiti elections"
- "We perfected Ekiti rigging in hotel –Aluko"
- "How Obanikoro, Chris Uba, Omisore, Olubolade, Nigerian Army General Rigged Fayose Into Power" SaharaTV, Youtube"
- "Ekiti Elections - Soldier who recorded ‘election rigging’ discussion speaks ou"
- "Nigeria: Army Panel Praises Captain Who Exposed Ekiti Rigging Video, Recommends Sack, Prosecution of Top Officers"
- "Nigerian Army panel praises captain who exposed Ekiti rigging video, recommends sack, prosecution of top officers"
- "Fayose’s bank account remains frozen, as Court adjourns to Sept 30"
- "Court Order Freezing Governor Fayose's Zenith Bank Accounts Surfaces "
- "INSIDE STORY: Real reason Governor Fayose’s account was frozen"
-  "EXCLUSIVE: Aisha Buhari unveiled… but is she the president’s wife, daughter or an impostor?"
-  "Teed Up: Golf, K Street and Nigeria, New York Times, April 29, 2007"
- "Let Aisha Buhari travel to US to prove she’s innocent of Halliburton scam – Fayose"
- "Halliburton scandal: Prove your innocence by travelling to US – Fayose dares Buhari’s wife"
- "Aisha Buhari in The US Different From Nigeria First Lady Aisha Buhari, SaharaReporters Finds"
- "Photos: Aisha Buhari faults Fayose’s allegations, visits Washington DC"
- "Finally Fayose Breaks Silence: Reacts To Aisha Buhari's Trip To USA, Attacks Her Again "