Ayot St Lawrence
|Ayot St Lawrence|
The new St. Lawrence church
|Ayot St Lawrence shown within Hertfordshire|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Ayot St Lawrence is a small village and civil parish in Hertfordshire, between Harpenden and Welwyn. There are several other Ayots in the area, including Ayot Green and Ayot St Peter (where in 2011 the census population was included).
Other residents of the village included the Shaws' friend, neighbour and bibliographer Stephen Winsten and his wife, the artist Clare Winsten, and the novelist and biographer Carola Oman, Lady Lenanton.
The village has two churches:
- Old St Lawrence Church, in the centre of the village, was partially demolished in 1775, because it was obstructing the view from Sir Lionel Lyde's new home.
Field Marshal Frederick Rudolph Lambart, 10th Earl of Cavan, a British Army officer and Chief of the Imperial General Staff, is buried in the churchyard.
- New St Lawrence Church was designed in a neo-classical style by Nicholas Revett and features a Palladian-style frontage with Doric columns.
- "Shaw's Corner". Archived from the original on 8 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- "Open house at Shaw's Corner". The Welwyn and Hatfield Times. 2009-09-06. Archived from the original on 2005-08-24. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- "Ayot Saint Lawrence". Hertfordshire Genealogy. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- "The Brocket Arms, Ayot St Lawrence". Mysterious Britain. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- "Van Gogh walked here". St Albans & Harpenden Review. 2002-02-04. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- "Parishes - Ayot St. Lawrence or Great Ayot". British History Online. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Ayot St Lawrence.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ayot St Lawrence.|
|This Hertfordshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|