Ayot St Lawrence
Ayot St Lawrence is a small English village and civil parish in Hertfordshire, between Harpenden and Welwyn. There are several other Ayots in the area, including Ayot Green and Ayot St Peter, where the census population of Ayot St Lawrence was included in 2011.
During the 1950s, the silk-maker Zoe Dyke (1896–1975) moved her business to Ayot House. The historical novelist, biographer and children's writer Carola Oman, Lady Lenanton (1897–1978) lived at Bride Hall with her husband. She died there on 11 June 1978.
The village has two churches:
- Old St Lawrence Church, in the centre of the village, was partially demolished in 1775, because it was obstructing the view from Sir Lionel Lyde's new home.
Field Marshal Frederick Rudolph Lambart, 10th Earl of Cavan (1865–1946), a British Army officer and Chief of the Imperial General Staff, is buried in the churchyard.
- New St Lawrence Church was designed in a neo-classical style by Nicholas Revett and features a Palladian-style frontage with Doric columns.
- "Shaw's Corner". Archived from the original on 2009-03-08. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- "Open house at Shaw's Corner". The Welwyn and Hatfield Times. 2009-09-06. Archived from the original on 2005-08-24. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- "Ayot Saint Lawrence". Hertfordshire Genealogy. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- John Martin, "Dyke, (Millicent) Zoë, Lady Dyke (1896–1975)", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, Oct 2007 accessed 12 July 2017
- Mark Bostridge: "Oman, Carola Mary Anima (married name Carola Mary Anima Lenanton, Lady Lenanton)" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004. Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- "The Brocket Arms, Ayot St Lawrence". Mysterious Britain. Archived from the original on 2009-09-24. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- "The Brocket Arms". Retrieved 2018-11-25.
- "Van Gogh walked here". St Albans & Harpenden Review. 2002-02-04. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- "Parishes - Ayot St. Lawrence or Great Ayot". British History Online. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Ayot St Lawrence.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ayot St Lawrence.|