az-Za'ayyem

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

az-Za'ayyem
Other transcription(s)
Az-Za'ayyem and Az-Za'ayyem checkpoint, from the air
Az-Za'ayyem and Az-Za'ayyem checkpoint, from the air
az-Za'ayyem is located in the Palestinian territories
az-Za'ayyem
az-Za'ayyem
Location of az-Za'ayyem within Palestine
Coordinates: 31°47′16.41″N 35°15′54.11″E / 31.7878917°N 35.2650306°E / 31.7878917; 35.2650306Coordinates: 31°47′16.41″N 35°15′54.11″E / 31.7878917°N 35.2650306°E / 31.7878917; 35.2650306
GovernorateJerusalem
Government
 • TypeVillage council
Population
(2006)
 • Jurisdiction2,459

az-Za'ayyem (Arabic: الزعیم‎) is a Palestinian village in the Jerusalem Governorate, located 3 kilometers East of Jerusalem in the central West Bank. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, the village had a population of 2,459 in 2006.[1] The healthcare facilities for az-Za'ayyem according to the Ministry of Health are obtained in East Jerusalem.[2]

History[edit]

1967, aftermath[edit]

After the 1967 Six-Day War, az-Za'ayyem has been under Israeli occupation.

After the 1995 accords, 3.8% (or 236 dunams) of the land is classified as Area B, while the remaining 96.2% (or 5,896 dunams) were classified as Area C.[3]

Israel has confiscated land from az-Za'ayyem in order to construct two Israeli settlements:

az-Za'ayyem lies close to Highway 1 to Jerusalem and the az-Za'ayyem check point in the separation barrier.[4][5][6][7]

References[edit]

  1. ^ Projected Mid -Year Population for Jerusalem Governorate by Locality 2004- 2006 Archived February 7, 2012, at the Wayback Machine Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics.
  2. ^ Health care Facilities West Bank
  3. ^ a b c Az Za'ayyem Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 16
  4. ^ Humanitarian Events, Monitoring issues Archived 2005-11-12 at the Wayback Machine
  5. ^ "Barrier March 2004" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-10-13. Retrieved 2008-07-16.
  6. ^ Displaced by the Wall: Pilot Study on Forced Displacement Caused by the Construction of the West Bank Wall and its Associated Regime in the Occupied Palestinian territories (PDF) (Report). BADIL. 2006. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
  7. ^ "Barrier route July 2008" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-09-10. Retrieved 2008-07-16.

External links[edit]