Dave and Pam's Corner Store and US Post Office, Dundee Azalia Rd.
|Elevation||669 ft (204 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||620397|
Azalia, is an unincorporated community in Milan Township, Monroe County in the U.S. state of Michigan. It is located south and east of exit 22 off U.S. Highway 23, about five miles south of the city of Milan and about four miles north of Dundee.
Azalia is situated between sections 24 and 25 on the north branch of the Macon Creek at . The Azalia ZIP code 48110 provides P.O. Box-only service. The Azalia post office is one of very few located within a business. The store has since closed.
The community was first known as East Milan, or Reeves Station where a family named Reeves established the Star Bending Company. A post office opened on August 4, 1869 (or in 1866 by some accounts), largely through the efforts of Daniel T. Hazen, to avoid having to travel to West Milan (now Cone) to pick up mail. Steven Frink was the first postmaster, followed by Hazen in 1867, Joseph Meadows in 1872, John M. Lewis in 1877, and A.C. Reynolds in 1884. On September 1, 1887, the postmaster-general issued orders changing the name of the post office from "East Milan" to "Azalia", which was the name of the railroad station and also named Meadows as postmaster again.
The Toledo, Ann Arbor and Grand Trunk Railway (later the Toledo, Ann Arbor and North Michigan Railway and then the Ann Arbor Railroad), opened on June 8, 1878, with a station named "Azalia", named after one of the daughters of the president of the railroad, Azalia Ashley.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Azalia, Michigan
- ZIP Code Lookup Archived December 14, 2006, at the Wayback Machine., U.S. Postal Service
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Azalia Post Office
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- Milan Township History in History of Monroe County, Michigan, Wing, Talcott Enoch, ed. New York, Munsell & company, 1890. p. 593