Azamara Quest as seen in Split, on 29 September 2013
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Chantiers de l'Atlantique, Saint-Nazaire, France|
|Launched:||23 May 2000|
|Acquired:||28 September 2000|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||R-class cruise ship|
|Length:||181.00 m (593 ft 10 in)|
|Beam:||25.46 m (83 ft 6 in)|
|Depth:||5.95 m (20 ft)|
|Decks:||11 (9 passenger decks)|
|Installed power:||4 × 4,650 kW (6,240 hp) Wärtsilä Vasa 12V32|
|Propulsion:||Diesel-electric; 2 × 6,750 kW (9,050 hp) GEC Alstom electric motors,Two shafts; fixed pitch propellers|
|Speed:||18 knots (33 km/h; 21 mph)|
Azamara Quest is an R-class cruise ship that entered service for Azamara Cruises on 24 October 2007. She was built in 2000 for Renaissance Cruises as R Seven. Following the collapse of Renaissance Cruises in 2001 she was laid up for two years, until chartered to the Germany-based Delphin Seereisen as Delphin Renaissance.
The Azamara Quest carries about 710 passengers (double occupancy) plus 410 crew members (1:2 staff to guest ratio). Her first season was in the Caribbean. Due to her small size, she is able to call at some of the lesser-visited ports such as St. Barts and Guadeloupe.
Five crew were injured in the fire, which broke out on 30 March 2012 at 8:19pm EDT, a day after the ship left Manila for Sandakan, Malaysia. It was limited to the engine room and "quickly contained", according to Azamara. None of the passengers were injured.
Many guests praised the efforts of the crew and the entertainment department for keeping spirits high immediately following the harrowing experience.
In popular culture
In 2015, the Azamara Journey and the Azamara Quest were the ships used by television presenter and biologist Nigel Marven for his UKTV documentary and travel program Cruise Ship Adventures with Nigel Marven. The program highlighted wildlife areas at popular cruise destinations.
Azamara Quest in her previous livery, as seen off the coast of Santorini in July 2008
Azamara Quest departing Split, 13 November 2011
- Asklander, Micke. "M/S R Seven (2000)". Fakta om Fartyg (in Swedish). Retrieved 14 December 2008.
- "Azamara Quest (33494)". DNV GL Vessel Register. Det Norske Veritas. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Azamara Cruises: Azamara Quest (Deck plans)". Archived from the original on 9 December 2009. Retrieved 22 June 2009.
- "Our Ships". 11 November 2014.
- Azamara Quest® Ship Facts Archived 2 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "BBC News - Fire disables Azamara cruise ship near Philippines". Bbc.co.uk. 17 January 2012. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- "Parties Continued on Asia Cruise Ship After Fire". CBS News. 2 April 2012. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Reasons To Cruise Blog - Cruising Tips For First Timers". Reasons To Cruise.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Azamara Quest.|