Azarbaijan Shahid Madani University
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (July 2010)|
|دانشگاه شهید مدنی آذربایجان|
Azarbaijan University coat of arms
|Tabriz University of Tarbiat Moallem, Azarbaijan University of Tarbiat Moallem|
|Address||After Shahid Salimi Industrial Town, Tabriz - Maragheh Hwy, Tabriz, Iran., Tabriz, East Azarbaijan Province, Iran
Azarbaijan Shahid Madani University, (Persian: دانشگاه شهید مدنی آذربایجان) commonly called only Azerbaijan University, is a public university located near Tabriz, East Azerbaijan Province, Iran, founded in 1987. The university provides bachelor, master, and doctoral education to about 7.500 students at a wide range of fields of study such as engineering, basic scienses, literature and theology. The university has got ResearchGate's total impact point of 128.27 from 54 publications, according to the latest statistics.
Azerbaijan University was founded in 1987 in Tabriz as a branch of Tehran's Tarbiat Moallem (teacher education) University. The initial objective of the university was to train teachers in different area for the fulfillment of Iranian government educational development policies and the major concern of the university was focused on training teachers for high schools and technical schools. On 1988 Azerbaijan University became an independent university under the title Tabriz University of Tarbiat Moallem and later Azarbaijan University of Tarbiat Moallem. In 2012, due to changing of Iranian educational policies, the university turned to a general educational university under the title Azarbaijan Shahid Madani University. The name "Shahid Madani" comes from an Iranian cleric from Azarshahr whom has became martyr in early years of Islamic Revolution.
Recently, the university is expanding fast and it is planning to be one of the prominent educational and research centers in Iran. New faculty buildings are being opened, new young academic staff are being employed and a lot of academic activities are underway to convert the university to one of the most dynamic universities in northwestern Iran.
- Basic Sciences
- Literature and Human Sciences
- Theology and Islamic Sciences
- Information Technology
- Psychology & Educational Sciences
Azarbaijan University has two campuses:
- Main campus is situated in the countryside of Tabriz by the Tabriz - Maragheh highway, not far from Azarshahr and Mamaqan, 35 km away from Tabriz. All offices, faculties, some of dormitories, laboratories, workshops and amphitheaters are located here. The campus also has a train station, 3 restaurants, bakeries, a medical center and a shopping center.
- Tabriz campus, located inside Tabriz, was established in 2013 with a view to educate Iranian and international students in the following master and PhD programs. Master: Analytical Chemistry, Theoretical Physics, Structural Civil Engineering, Electrical Power Engineering, Applied Mathematics & PhD: Analytical Chemistry, Atomic and Molecular Physics. Tabriz Campus holds the university's "Virtual Educations Center" and also university's summer courses are held there.
Thanks to the Tehran - Tabriz railroad which passes the university lands, Azarbaijan University is the only university in Iran with a railway station inside and its exclusive rail-bus which transports students between Tabriz and the university 4 times every business day. On November 2014, an electric train with double capacity of the olden train allocated to the university. Discussions about allocating the second electric train are still underway.