Azarbaijan Shahid Madani University
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (July 2010)|
|دانشگاه شهید مدنی آذربایجان|
Azarbaijan University coat of arms
|Tabriz University of Tarbiat Moallem, Azarbaijan University of Tarbiat Moallem|
|Address||35 km of Tabriz - Azarshahr Road, Tabriz, East Azarbaijan Province, Iran
Azarbaijan Shahid Madani University, (Persian: دانشگاه شهید مدنی آذربایجان) commonly called only Azarbaijan University, is a state university located near Tabriz, East Azerbaijan Province, Iran, founded in 1987. The university provides both undergraduate and graduate education to approximately 7.500 students at a wide range of fields including engineering, basic sciences, literature and theology. The university has got Research Gate's total impact point of 128.27 from 54 publications, according to the latest statistics.
Azarbaijan University was founded in 1987 in Tabriz as a branch of Tehran's Tarbiat Moallem (teacher education) University. The initial objective of the university was to train teachers in different area for the fulfillment of Iranian government educational development policies and the major concern of the university was focused on training teachers for high schools and technical schools. On 1988 Azarbaijan University became an independent university under the title Tabriz University of Tarbiat Moallem and later Azarbaijan University of Tarbiat Moallem. In 2012, due to changing of Iranian educational policies, the university turned to a general educational university under the title Azarbaijan Shahid Madani University. The name "Shahid Madani" comes from an Iranian cleric from Azarshahr who became a martyr in the early years of Islamic Revolution.
Recently, the university is expanding fast and it is planning to be one of the prominent educational and research centers in Iran. New faculty buildings are being opened, new young academic staff are being employed and a lot of academic activities are underway to convert the university to one of the most dynamic universities in northwestern Iran.
- Basic Sciences
- Literature and Human Sciences
- Theology and Islamic Sciences
- Information Technology
- Psychology & Educational Sciences
Azarbaijan University has two campuses:
- Main campus is located in the countryside of Tabriz alongside the Tabriz - Maragheh highway, near Azarshahr and Mamaqan, 35 km Southwest of Tabriz. Administrative part, faculties, most of student dormitories, laboratories, workshops and amphitheaters are located in main campus. The campus also has a train station, 3 restaurants, bakery, a health center, and a shopping center.
- Tabriz campus, which is located in Dampezeshki neighborhood of Tabriz, was established in 2013 with a focus on graduate studies in some of the theoretical engineering and science majors. The programs in Tabriz campus include Master of Science in: Analytical Chemistry, Theoretical Physics, Structural Engineering, Electrical Power Engineering, Applied Mathematics and PhD degree programs in: Analytical Chemistry, Atomic and Molecular Physics. Tabriz Campus holds the "Virtual and Distance Learning Center" of the university and also summer and short courses are held in this campus.
Azarbaijan Shahid Madani University has cooperation and exchange programs with several universities and institutes in the Middle East and also in Asia and Europe. Some of them are as follows:
- Kanazawa University in Japan 
- Khazar University in Azerbaijan
- Gebze University in Turkey
- Siirt University in Turkey
- Yüzüncü Yıl University in Turkey 
- BBCA Institute in Italy 
There are various student communities and associations with different academic, athletic or artistic objects:
- Poetry and Literature Association
- Music Association
- Photography and Filming Association
- Red Crescent Association
- Charitable Association
- Engineering Academic Communities
- Literature Academic Communities
- Basic Sciences Academic Communities
- Psychology Academic Community
- Botany Academic Community
Thanks to the Tehran - Tabriz railroad which passes through the university lands, Azarbaijan University is the only university in Iran with a railway station inside and its exclusive "Rail Bus" which transports students between Tabriz and the university 4 times every business day. Due to the rising number of students, a newer similar rail bus which can be connected to the old one has been added to the line in April 2016. The new rail bus is operated only in morning and afternoon rush hours.