Azerbaijan International University
|Azərbaycan Beynəlxalq Universiteti|
|Colors||Green and white|
Azerbaijan International University (Azerbaijani: Azərbaycan Beynəlxalq Universiteti) was a private university located in Baku, Azerbaijan. Founded in 1997, it had more than 6000 students and 268 faculty. Graduate programs included Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacology, Economics, Education, Law etc.
The university granted bachelor's, master's and Ph.D degrees. It was a corresponding member of International Personnel Academy of UNESCO (Kiev) in 1999. The president of University Dr. Elshad Islam Abdullayev was awarded the Gold Medal of UNESCO "For his achievements in the field of education." On 30 August 2010, the Ministry of Education issued a decree annulling the license of the Azerbaijan International University.
Corruption trial and shutting down
In 2006, the Attorney General's Office announced it had received reports of corruption taking place in the Azerbaijan International University which marked the beginning of a four-year-long criminal case. An official of the Ministry of Education announced on 24 June 2008 that law violations had been detected following an investigation and seven programs of study had been shut down. In May 2008, the student football team of the university was excluded from the all-state amateur student football championship for submitting forged student transcripts and identification cards for the players who in fact were not registered students of the Azerbaijan International University. In August 2008, the then Minister of Education Misir Mardanov voiced concerns over the functioning procedures of the university, namely its alleged student admission in contravention of the official state admission examination. Head of the State Students Admission Commission Maleyka Abbaszadeh confirmed that a preliminary investigation revealed 118 bachelor's students who had been admitted first-hand by the university in one year alone without being put through a unified state exam. Two high-ranking employees of the university responsible for student admission were charged with bribery. They admitted in court that they had accepted bribes from prospective students ranging from 1,000 to 5,000 US dollars to admit them in the university. The university was barred from admitting new students in 2009 and 2010, due to the "results of the past investigations." Finally on 30 August 2010, the Ministry of Education issued a decree annulling the license of the Azerbaijan State University. All remaining students were transferred to nine other institutions. Rector Elshad Abdullayev disagreed with the Ministry's decision, claiming that the university had received a four-year license in 2007 and that it could not have been simply revoked, but only expire.
Lawyer Aslan Ismayilov who offered his free services to the former AIU students who had been legally admitted and were willing to transfer to other universities described the Azerbaijan International University as a "disgrace to education." He expressed an opinion that the corruption activities of Elshad Abdullayev had been well known but concealed due to his "good connections."
Illegal organ transplantation controversy
In 2010, Ukrainian authorities reported that a criminal investigation of cases of illegal organ transplantation involving citizens of Ukraine and Azerbaijan pointed at the Azerbaijan International University Medical Centre. A joint investigation carried out by Azerbaijani and Ukrainian authorities revealed that ten unlicensed surgeries were carried out by Ukrainian doctors in the centre in 2009, during which kidneys were purchased and transplanted from Azerbaijani and Ukrainian donors to foreigners. Seven people in total were charged with human trafficking, criminal group formation and illegal transplantation, one of them former head of the AIU Medical Centre. The Azerbaijan Attorney General's Office discovered documents confirming identities of the organ donors and recipients.
- Republical Attorney General's Carried Out Investigation at Azerbaijan International University. Day.az. 22 June 2006.
- Seven Programs of Study Shut Down at Azerbaijan International University. Day.az. 24 June 2006.
- Football Team of the Azerbaijan State University Excluded from Student Championship for Forging Documents. Day.az. 8 May 2008.
- Is Azerbaijan International University License Annulled?. Day.az. 7 August 2008.
- Maleyka Abbaszadeh: Just Beginning in September of This Year, 118 Bachelor's of AIU Admitted Passing over SCSA. Day.az. 11 December 2008.
- Former Assistant Pro-Rector of Azerbaijan International University on Trial for Fraud. Day.az. 2 December 2008.
- Reasons for No Admission in Azerbaijan International University. Day.az. 19 May 2010.
- Ministry of Education Shut Down Azerbaijani University. Day.az. 1 September 2010.
- AIU Rector Spoke Out. Radio Liberty. 21 September 2010.
- Aslan Ismayilov: AIU a Disgrace to Education. Radio Liberty. 8 September 2010.
- Illegal Organ Transplantations Taking Place in Azerbaijan International University. Aze.az. 24 November 2010.
- New Charges in Case of Illegal Transplantation at Baku Clinic. Day.az. 31 March 2011.
- Case of "Black Transplantologists" - from Baku to Pristina. Day.az. 6 May 2011.