Azerbaijan State University of Economics
|Azerbaijan State University of Economics|
|Rector||Prof Adalat Muradov|
Azerbaijan State University of Economics (ASUE) (Azerbaijani: Azərbaycan Dövlət İqtisad Universiteti (ADIU)) is a public university located in Baku, Azerbaijan. ASUE was founded in 1930 and it is one of the biggest educational institutions of the South Caucasus. ASUE has 14 faculties, where 16 thousand students get education, and it offers master programs in 57 specialties, employing more than 1000 teachers, including 62 professors and 344 docents, among whom there are active members of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, New York Academy of Sciences, winners of state awards, honored teachers and scientists. ASUE is a full member of the European University Association, Federation of the Universities of the Islamic World, University Council of Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation and Eurasian Association of Universities. There are 650 undergraduate and postgraduate students from 10 countries of the world getting education at ASEU.
In 2007 a Library and Information Center and a student career center started functioning at ASUE and also a new 7 floor educational building that meets the highest international standards was opened. The same year ASUE received the “European quality” award and the European Club of Rectors and European University Association.
The strategic direction of ASUE development was to bring the educational process up to the international standards by 2010, finishing the international accreditation process and ensuring full compliance with Bologna Process, as well as more active participation in the international market of educational services. Currently the university is chaired by rector professor Adalat Muradov and five vice rectors .
Originally a part of Baku State University, it became a separate, independent institution in 1934. Over the years its name has changed a number of times and it was re-merged and re-separated from Baku State on several occasions. On its creation in 1930, the school was named the Trade-Cooperative Institute. In 1933, the government of Azerbaijan SSR changed the name to the "Azerbaijan Social-Economic University named after Karl Marx" (similar to the naming of the Azerbaijan Medical University named after Nariman Narimanov), and introduced curricula on accounting, law and finance. In 1936 the name was tweaked to the "Azerbaijan Social-Economic Institute named after Karl Marx". With the onset of World War II, ASEU was folded into Baku State University's Department of Economics. By 1944 the school was separated again, this time as the Azerbaijan National Economic Institute. It remained under this name until March 1959, when war caused it to be folded back into Baku State University.
In 1966 the school separated once again, and has remained independent since, initially as the Azerbaijan National Economic Institute named after Dadash Bunyadzade. In 1987 the name was changed to the Finance-Economic Institute; and in 2000 the name was finally changed to its current form by an act of the Azerbaijani government.
Setting for Novel Ali and Nino
Kurban Said's landmark novel, Ali and Nino, opens in a classroom in the Economics University building in Baku. Ali Khan, the protagonist, took his final graduation exams in that building, which is located on one of Baku's most prestigious streets - Independence (Istiglaliyyat), though at the time of the novel, it was called Nikolay Street, named after the Russian czar Nicholas II. Nino's school, now Public School No. 132, was located across the street.
Curiously, both Yusif Vazir (Chamanzaminli) (1887-1943), the Core Author of Ali and Nino, as well as Essad Bey / Lev Nussimbaum (1905-1942) both attended this school. Vazirov attended Baku Realni High School (having transferred in as a refugee from Shusha) beginning in 1906 and he graduated in 1909.
Lev Nussimbaum attended Men's Gymnasium No. 2, which at that time ( 1914-1920) was housed inside Baku Realni. Though Nussimbaum was often absent due to sickness and political unrest, he was enrolled from Junior Preparatory to the beginning of Fourth Grade when he fled the Bolshevik takeover of the Baku government (1920). This school offered classes through Eighth Grade. Documents indicate that Nussimbaum failed his Azeri class in 1919, the only time records exist showing that he had enrolled in Azeri.
- H.E Mr. Heydar Aliyev, former President and National leader of Azerbaijan Republic
- H.E Mrs. Suzanne Mubarak, former First Lady of Arab Republic of Egypt
- Dr. Ismail Serageldin, director of Bibliotheca Alexandrina
- H.E Mr. Konstantinos Stephanopoulos, former President of Greece
- Joseph Stiglitz, Nobel prize winner
- Erik Stark M, Nobel Prize Laureate in Economics, Professor at University of Harvard
- Finn ErlinqKidland, Nobel Prize Laureate in Economics, Professor at University of Carnegie-Mellon University, Norway
- Christopher A. Pissarides, Nobel Prize Laureate in Economics, Head of Chair and program director at London School of Economics
- Robert Mandell, Columbia University Professor – USA, Nobel Prize Laureate
- Roger Myerson, Nobel Prize Laureate in Economics, Professor of Arizona University (USA)
- Kenneth Arrow, Nobel Prize Laureate in Economics, Professor atHarvard University (USA), Founder of School of Economy
- Ismat Abbasov, Deputy Prime Minister of Azerbaijan Republic
- Avaz Alakbarov, former Minister of Finance of Azerbaijan Republic
- Fizuli Alakbarov, former Minister of Labor and Social Protection of Population of Azerbaijan Republic
- Azer Amiraslanov, The chief of Department for Agrarian Policy Issues of the Presidential Administration of Azerbaijan Republic
- Heydar Asadov, Minister of Agriculture of Azerbaijan Republic
- Rufat Aslanli, Chairman of State Committee for Securities of Azerbaijan Republic
- Nazim Ibrahimov, Chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora of Azerbaijan Republic
- Telman Ismailov, Ex Businessman
- Karam Hasanov, Chairman of State Property Issues Committee of Azerbaijan Republic
- Mikayil Jabbarov, Minister of Education of Azerbaijan Republic
- Eldar Mahmudov,former Minister of National Security of Azerbaijan Republic
- Fazil Mammadov, Minister of Taxes of Azerbaijan Republic
- Ali Masimov, former acting Prime Minister of Azerbaijan Republic
- Salim Muslumov, Minister of Labor and Social Protection of Population of Azerbaijan Republic
- Shahin Mustafayev, Minister of Economy and Industry of Azerbaijan Republic
- Elman Rustamov, Chairman of the Management Board of Central Bank of Azerbaijan
- Edward Topol, Russian Novelist
- "UNEC — RECTOR". unec.edu.az. Retrieved 2017-11-28.
- "UNEC — RECTORATE". unec.edu.az. Retrieved 2017-11-28.
- 101 Reasons Why Yusif Vazir Chamanzaminli is the Core Author of Ali and Nino, in Azerbaijan International, Vol. 15:2-4 (2011), pp. 262-333.
- Azerbaijan Republic State History Archives: Fund 392, List 1, Case 470, Page 13. Photo of Lev Nussimbaum's grade report is published in "Secrets in the Archives: Lev Nussimbaum's Early School Record in Baku," in Azerbaijan International, Vol. 15:2-4 (2011), p. 153. Available in English or Azeri.
- "UNEC — HONORARY DOCTORATES". unec.edu.az. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "UNEC — HONORARY DOCTORATES". unec.edu.az. Retrieved 2017-12-01.