||This article needs to be updated. (February 2016)|
Rendering of the Azerbaijan Tower
|Status||Planned; status unknown as of 2017|
|Location||Khazar Islands, Azerbaijan|
|Construction started||Unknown as of 2017|
|Architectural||1,054 m (3,458 ft)|
|Floor area||7.56 million sqft.|
|Design and construction|
Azerbaijan Tower is a planned megatall skyscraper to be constructed on the Khazar Islands, 25 km (16 mi) south of Baku, Azerbaijan. If built as planned, the tower will surpass the tremendous heights of both Burj Khalifa and the Jeddah Tower becoming the tallest building in the world.
The $2 billion tower is to be the centerpiece of the Khazar Islands, a $100 billion city of 41 artificial islands that will spread 3,000 hectares over the Caspian Sea. The city is being planned to house 1 million residents, contain 150 schools, 50 hospitals and daycare centers, numerous parks, shopping malls, cultural centers, university campuses, and a Formula 1 quality racetrack. All of these facilities are planned to be able to withstand up to magnitude 9.0 earthquakes. The city will be equipped with 150 bridges and a large municipal airport to connect the islands to the mainland.
Construction on the Azerbaijan Tower was set to begin in 2015[when?] and be completed by around 2019. Its construction status is unknown as of 2017. The Khazar Islands are scheduled to be finished between 2020 and 2025.
- "Carbon-Fiber Tape Takes Elevators To New Heights". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. June 30, 2013.
- "Azerbaijan to build world's tallest skyscraper". Azernews. January 30, 2012.
- Medina, Samuel (February 9, 2012). "Azerbaijan To Build One Kilometer-Tall Skyscraper". Architizer.
- Quick, Darren (February 9, 2012). "World's tallest building proposed for Azerbaijan". Gizmag.
- Taylor, Adam (February 9, 2012). "INTRODUCING THE AZERBAIJAN TOWER: Soon To Be The World's Tallest Building". Business Insider.
- Iliaifar, Amir (February 10, 2012). "$2 billion Azerbaijan Tower to usurp Saudi Arabia's Kingdom Tower as world's tallest". Digital Trends.
- Alexander, Anila (April 13, 2012). "Azerbaijan Plans World's Tallest Tower At 'New Venice' (PHOTOS)". International Business Times.
- Medina, Samuel (February 9, 2012). "Azerbaijan's Plans for a One Kilometer-Tall Skyscraper". The Altlantic Cities.
- Cameron, Charley (February 10, 2012). "Azerbaijan's Avesta Group Unveils Plan to Build New World's Tallest Tower". Inhabitat.
- Evgrashina, Lada; Antidze, Margarita (April 12, 2012). "Azerbaijan plans 'new Venice'". Toronto Sun.
- Dewsbury, Rick (April 12, 2012). "Azerbaijan reveals plans for world's tallest building at 3,500ft high". Mail Online.
- Khawaja, Moign (April 15, 2012). "Azerbaijan Tower to challenge Burj Khalifa's glory". Arabian Gazette.
- Li, Roland (February 9, 2012). "Azerbaijan Tower: The Next Tallest Building in the World? (SLIDESHOW)". International Business Times.