Azerbaijan University of Languages
Azərbaycan Dillər Universiteti
Azerbaijan University of Languages building
|Established||9 October 1937|
|Rector||Kamal Mehdi Abdullayev|
134 Rashid Behbudov St.,
Azerbaijan University of Languages (Azerbaijani: Azərbaycan Dillər Universiteti) is a public university in Baku, Azerbaijan. The student body consists of approximately 4000 undergraduates and 900 graduate (master's degree) students. The university has a combined faculty of more than 700 teachers.
The beginnings of the university can be traced to 1937, with Azerbaijan Pedagogical Institute's opening of the School of Foreign Languages. In 1940, the Azerbaijan Communist Party decreed that a separate Institute of Foreign Languages be formed, but the outbreak of World War II caused the new Institute to quickly fold back into Azerbaijan Pedagogical Institute. After the war, the government of Azerbaijan SSR created the Azerbaijan Institute of Foreign Languages in 1948, but it was folded into the Azerbaijan Institute of Russian Language and Literature in 1959. Finally, in 1973, the Azerbaijan Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages was established as an independent institution. In 1996 the school was renamed the Azerbaijan State Institute of Languages. In 2000 the institute was given university status and renamed as the Azerbaijan University of Languages.
The University maintains close relations with UNESCO, operating a UNESCO Translation Department as well as hosting a UNESCO-sponsored faculty chair. There are 7 schools, 25 departments at the university, a lot of scientific centers, laboratories activate at present.
As a result of the educational reforms, Azerbaijan University of Languages has been the first university which transmitted the whole system to credit system. The university has cooperation with higher educational institutions of Turkey, the U.S, the United Kingdom, France and other European institutions. Student exchanges have been intensive thanks to those cooperation.
Kamal Abdullah is current (from June 1, 2017) acting rector of the university. He was born in Baku, where he graduated from secondary and high school. After graduation, he continued his education in graduate of Institute of Linguistics of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR.
- A series of events dedicated to the Khojaly genocide were held at AUL by the Faculty of International Relations and Management and the Faculty of Translation and Cultural Studies.
- Rector of AUL met with delegation of Indonesia on December 17, 2018. The delegations of both sides signed a memorandum of cooperation.
The structure of the University consists of the following:
- for Academic Affairs
- for Scientific Affairs
- for International Relations
- for Developmental Affairs
- for General Affairs
- Rector's advisors
- for issues of Scientific and Educational Affairs
- for Issues of Multiculturalism
- for the Logistics and Financial Issues
- for the Control of Execution
- for Social Affairs
Departments of university
- School of Regional Studies and International Relations
- School of Philology and Journalism
- School of Translation
- School of Further Education
- School of Master and Doctoral
- Novruz Mammadov - 9th and current Prime Minister of Azerbaijan
- Azad Rahimov - Minister of Youth and Sports of Azerbaijan
- Abulfas Garayev - Minister of Culture and Tourism of Azerbaijan
- Nazim Samadov - Deputy of Minister of Culture and Tourism of Azerbaijan
- Rafig Shamiloglu - state servant, writer
- Vagif Sadigov - diplomat, deputy of Minister of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan (2004-2010), Ambassador of the Republic of Azerbaijan to Italy
- Farman Ismayilov - PhD, professor of Baku State University
- Tofig Abasguliyev - Scholar in linguistics, director of the Center of Dictionary and Encyclopedia of Khazar University
- Minira Garayeva - Professor, president of Azerbaijan "Xosh Niyyat" Charity Community and vice-president of Azerbaijan's Women Association Panel
- Valeh Hajilar - Academic of Tbilisi State Pedagogical University and National Academy of Sciences of Georgia, professor
- "Rectorate | Azerbaijan University of Languages". Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "ADU-da Xocalı soyqırımına həsr olunmuş silsilə tədbirlər keçirilib (FOTO)". Trend.Az (in Azerbaijani). 2019-02-22. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- admin. "Memorandum on Cooperation between Azerbaijan University of Languages and the University of Indonesia | Azerbaijan University of Languages". Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- "INTERNAL STRUCTURE: Administration". The official website of Azerbaijan University of Languages. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Azerbaijan University of Languages.|