Azerbaijan University of Languages
Azerbaijan University of Languages (Azerbaijani: Azərbaycan Dillər Universiteti) is a public university in Baku, Azerbaijan. The student body consists of approximately 4000 undergraduates and 900 graduate (master's degree) students. The university has a combined faculty of more than 700 teachers.
The beginnings of the university can be traced to 1937, with Azerbaijan Pedagogical Institute's opening of the School of Foreign Languages. In 1940, the Azerbaijan Communist Party decreed that a separate Institute of Foreign Languages be formed, but the outbreak of World War II caused the new Institute to quickly fold back into Azerbaijan Pedagogical Institute. After the war, the government of Azerbaijan SSR created the Azerbaijan Institute of Foreign Languages in 1948, but it was folded into the Azerbaijan Institute of Russian Language and Literature in 1959. Finally, in 1973, the Azerbaijan Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages was established as an independent institution. In 1996 the school was renamed the Azerbaijan State Institute of Languages. In 2000 the institute was given university status and renamed as the Azerbaijan University of Languages.
|Azərbaycan Dillər Universiteti|
|Chancellor||Afgan A. Abdullayev|
The University maintains close relations with UNESCO, operating a UNESCO Translation Department as well as hosting a UNESCO-sponsored faculty chair.
There are 7 schools, 25 departments at the university, a lot of scientific centers, laboratories activate at present.
As a result of the educational reforms, Azerbaijan University of Languages has been the first university which transmitted the whole system to credit system. The university has cooperation with higher educational institutions of Turkey, the U.S, the United Kingdom, France and other European institutions. Student exchanges have been intensive thanks to those cooperation.
Afgan Ali Abdullayev is current acting rector of the university. He was born in Yevlakh region, where he graduated from high school. Upon receipt of the Azerbaijan Pedagogical University of Foreign Languages, students majoring in English and Azerbaijan Languages of Azerbaijan University of Languages (AUL), where he subsequently worked as a dean, and now – a vice-rector. After graduation, he continued his education in graduate of the Azerbaijan State University of Foreign Languages with a degree in Germanic languages.
Departments of university
- School of Regional Studies and International Relations
- School of Philology and Journalism
- School of Translation
- School of Further Education
- School of Master and Doctoral
- Novruz Mammadov - Deputy Head of the Azerbaijani Presidential Administration, chief of the administration's foreign relations department
- Azad Rahimov - Minister of Youth and Sports of Azerbaijan
- Abulfas Garayev - Minister of Culture and Tourism of Azerbaijan
- Nazim Samadov - Deputy of Minister of Culture and Tourism of Azerbaijan
- Ali Alizade - Azerbaijan General Consulate in Azerbaijan
- Rafig Shamiloglu - state servant, writer
- Vagif Sadigov - diplomat, deputy of Minister of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan (2004-2010), Ambassador of the Republic of Azerbaijan to Italy
- Farman Ismayilov - PhD, professor of Baku State University
- Tofig Abasguliyev - Scholar in linguistics, director of the Center of Dictionary and Encyclopedia of Khazar University
- Minira Garayeva - Professor, president of Azerbaijan "Xosh Niyyat" Charity Community and vice-president of Azerbaijan's Women Association Panel
- Valeh Hajilar - Academic of Tbilisi State Pedagogical University and National Academy of Sciences of Georgia, professor
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Azerbaijan University of Languages.|