Azimov (Russian: Ази́мов; masculine) or Azimova (Ази́мова; feminine) is a Russian last name. Variants of this last name include Ozimkov/Ozimkova (Озимко́в/Озимко́ва) and Ozimov/Ozimova (Ози́мов/Ози́мова).
There are several theories about the origins of this last name. According to one, it is derived from the non-Christian names (or nicknames) Ozimko (Озимко), Ozim (Озим), and Ozimy (Озимый), which in dialects with akanye transformed into "Azim" (Азим). These names/nicknames were given to babies born in late fall right before the beginning of winter. It is also possible that this last name derives from the Pskov and Tver dialectal word "озим" (ozim), meaning trembling, shivering, a chilly sensation in the body. Another possible origin is the Greek word for a bland cake consumed in religious contexts (most likely meaning that this last name was created artificially in a seminary environment). Finally, the last name "Azimov" may be of Turkic origins, deriving from the Arabic name "Azim", which literally means great. Although listed last, this derivation is the most likely because of how Russian family names were formed (see Eastern Slavic naming customs; note, too, the ethnicity of the "notable people", below).
Notable people with the last name include:
- Abdulla Azimov (born 1996), Uzbekistani male artistic gymnast
- Araz Azimov (born 1963), Azerbaijani politician
- Isaak Ozimov (Azimov), birth name of Isaac Asimov (1920–1992), American writer and professor
- Rustam Azimov (born 1958), Uzbek politician
- Yahyo Azimov (born 1947), Tajik politician
- Ganzhina, p. 15
- Fedosyuk, entry on "Азимов".
- И. М. Ганжина (I. M. Ganzhina). "Словарь современных русских фамилий" (Dictionary of Modern Russian Last Names). Москва, 2001. ISBN 5-237-04101-9
- Ю. А. Федосюк (Yu. A. Fedosyuk). "Русские фамилии: популярный этимологический словарь" (Russian Last Names: a Popular Etymological Dictionary). Москва, 2006. ISBN 978-5-89349-216-3
|This page lists people with the surname Azimov. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|