|Venture capital firm|
Lee Keh Sai
Soon Choo Teck
Azione Capital Pte Ltd is an Asian venture capital firm headquartered in Singapore. The firm was named “Most Innovative Venture Capital Firm Singapore 2013” in the Global Banking & Finance Review Awards 2013.
|“||Entrepreneurs who emphasise on their fancy education, hundreds of pages proposals, talkers-not-doers and trend-followers are filtered out right at the start.||”|
In November 2006, the Interactive Digital Media R&D Programme Office of the Media Development Authority of Singapore made contact with Project Senso to explore the possibility of working together to assist new startups. The result was the formation of a separate, for-profit, and full-time entity. By early December 2006, the structuring of the business entity was complete and it was named Azione Capital Pte Ltd.
Early in 2007, Azione Capital Pte Ltd, along with more than 30 other partners, officially declared their support for the four new initiatives of the Media Development Authority, Interactive Digital Media R&D Programme Office at the inaugural IDM Jamboree held in the Singapore Science Centre.
- 3 November 2006 - Initial contact from Media Development Authority, Interactive Digital Media R&D Programme Office.
- 29 December 2006 - Officially incorporated in the Republic of Singapore as a Company limited by shares.
- 10 January 2007 - Declaration of support at the inaugural IDM Jamboree held in the Singapore Science Centre.
- 25 May 2007 - Press conference for the launch of the MDA Microfinancing Scheme and 1st i.Jam Evening held in the MICA Building Atrium.
- 26 July 2007 - 2nd i.Jam Evening held in the MICA Building Atrium.
- 30 July 2007 - Invited to be part of the i.Jam Council.
- 8 August 2007 - Signing of working agreement between Azione Capital Pte Ltd and Media Development Authority.
- 19 November 2007 - Appointed as Singapore Commercialization Partner of Cradle Investment Program (Malaysia).
Board of Directors
- Dennis Phua, Executive Director of Azione Capital Pte Ltd
- Nicholas Chan, Director of Azione Capital Pte Ltd
- Soon Choo Teck, Chairman and CEO of Sim Lim Company Pte Ltd
- Lee Keh Sai, former President of K.S. Lee & Associates (Asia) Pte Ltd (a Schneider Electric company)
- Peter Tan, Senior Associate, CEO of Freedom Group Pte Ltd
- Terence Poon, Associate, CEO of Tech Support Singapore Pte Ltd
Board of Advisors
- Assoc Prof Ser Wee - School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University
- Tan Kai Syng - Artist and Academic, University College London
- Shawna Olwen - CEO, HubNutz
- Tan Boon Tiong - SingTel
- Song Tang Yih - Vice President, Asia Pacific, F5 Networks
- Lim Swee Cheang - CEO, Institute of Systems Science, National University of Singapore
- Dr James Ong - CEO, Origami Frontiers
These are the portfolio startups that have been publicly announced (as at October 2008) under the care of Azione Capital Pte Ltd.
|LocAsian Networks||Mobile LBS Infrastructure Provider||www.locasian.net||20 March 2007||NA||Research & Development, beta testing, foreign expansion|
|Who Works Around You Pte Ltd||Location Based Dating||www.whoworksaroundyou.com||30 January 2007||3 October 2007||Operational, foreign expansion|
|Hibernator||Internet-based system state hibernation||www.hibernater.com||15 August 2007||NA||Research & Development, limited beta launch|
|Events Core||Events Management Engine||15 October 2007||NA||Operational|
|MyWobile (f.k.a. MobileWorld)||Location Based Gaming Platform||www.mywobile.com||18 November 2007||NA||Research & Development, limited beta launch, foreign expansion|
|e994||Location Based Emergency Services||www.e994.com||19 November 2007||NA||Research & Development, foreign expansion|
|RenoPortal||Online Portal||24 February 2008||NA||Stealth mode|
|Talenz||Crowdsourced Market Research||29 June 2008||NA||Research & Development|
|Fusion-Ads||Mobile Advertising and Analytics Platform||16 July 2008||NA||Research & Development|
|GameMo||Secure Mobile Content Distribution||www.gamemo.mobi||13 September 2008||NA||Research & Development, limited beta launch|
On 7 January 2009, Nicholas Chan expressed that Azione Capital would not actively explore the biotechnology sector for investment opportunities.
|“||For Asia, it's generally about the speed to market--you can't count on patents to protect your product or service.||”|
Nicholas Chan, Founder and Director of Azione Capital believes that entrepreneurs should start up early with a clear purpose. The firm expects startups to be frugal and ethical and not be trend and buzzword followers.
The business principles of Azione Capital have been the subject of discussion in public discussions and forums. Azione Capital has also contributed insights on the Singapore startup scene (via a quarterly Venture Capital editorial column in the MyVenture magazine) and on the venture capital environment in Asia.
On 27 July 2007, Azione Capital launched the Help Humanity Project (in partnership with the World Community Grid) within its portfolio startup companies as a simple way to introduce the budding entrepreneurs into incorporating corporate social responsibility initiatives within their startups and encouraging them to further develop their own corporate social responsibility programmes in the future.
On 23 March 2009, Azione Capital pledged support to the MalFreeMaps community by providing a Singapore mirror for the weekly community-created GPS maps of Singapore and Malaysia in recognition of the project team's ethical behavior and integrity in the running of a community-driven non-profit project in Asia.
- Expara Pte. Ltd & The Media Development Authority of Singapore (2009). Media Entrepreneur's Guide to Singapore 2009 edition p.90.
- Bodine, Paul (November 2008). Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance. The McGraw-Hill Companies. p.26. ISBN 0-07-159820-0
- Global Banking & Finance Review Awards 2013, accessed 2 July 2013
- News Release (25 May 2007) MDA administers new Microfunding Scheme to stimulate bottom-up innovation in IDM, accessed June 2010
- Fung, Esther. (6 August 2008) "It’s not just about funds", Today, MediaCorp
- PDF (27.86 KiB)
- News Release (10 January 2007) IDM R&D Programme Office unfolds four initiatives to support R&D needs in IDM sector, News release accessed October 2007
- i.BITS May 2007: Launch of Micro-Funding initiative for Individuals
- i.BITS July 2007: i.JAMMING @ MICA Building Atrium
- "Cradle's Entrepreneurs Pitch Ideas To Local And Global Investors", Bernama, 17 March 2008
- Lai, Kar Wai. (19 March 2005) "Spirit of Enterprise 2005 nomination interview for Chan Chiang Joo, Nicholas"
- The Brotherhood. (28 January 2009) "Nicholas Chan"
- Ng, Tiao Kien and Tan, Yan Jun Joy. (10 November 2009) "Voices of the Future - APEC Singapore 2009 - Day 2 interview"
- Wang, Jierui Joanne. (03/19/2005) "Spirit of Enterprise 2005 nomination interview for Peter Tan"
- Yeo, Vivian. (30 July 2009) "Investors still keen on Asian tech startups". ZDNet, CBS Interactive
- BlogTV.SG Episode 3: The Baby Crisis, Phin and FD. (15 September 2008)
- 9:00 News (29 March 2007), Dating agencies get funding to broaden services for singles, Channel U, MediaCorp
- Singapore Tonight (29 March 2007), Dating agencies get funding to broaden services for singles, Channel NewsAsia, MediaCorp
- 林佩碧, 四个"创意红娘" 获红线基金拔14万元 (30 March 2007) Lianhe Zaobao, Singapore Press Holdings p.15.
- Ng, Kai Ling. (30 March 2007) "Need help to find a date? Call us". Straits Times Interactive Video News, Singapore Press Holdings
- Loh, Chee Kong. (30 March 2007) "Cupid just a click away". Today, MediaCorp
- Loh, Chee Kong. (30 March 2007) "Cupid just a click away". Channel NewsAsia, MediaCorp
- @1.45 (4 April 2007), Interview with Nicholas Chan on Who Works Around You Pte Ltd, 938LIVE, MediaCorp Radio
- News Release (2008) SCE Students Design Practical Software Solution, accessed December 2008
- Fung, Esther. (29 August 2008) "In a hurry? Bring on the Hibernater", Today, MediaCorp
- Fung, Esther. (29 August 2008) "In a hurry? Bring on the Hibernater", Channel NewsAsia
- Goh, Daniel. (15 December 2008) "Singapore Location-Based Mobile Service MyWobile.com Announces Beta"
- City Beats, 梁凯欣, (02/16/2009) "低迷就业市场 大学毕业生创业", 新动网
- News Release (August 2009) SCE Trio Make Headlines
- Cameron, Nicholas. (24 August 2009) "#16, Cris Lim - MyWobile"
- Tan, Weizhen, (13 June 2009) "Dot.coms riding a new wave", Straits Times, Singapore Press Holdings p.B2.
- Tan, Weizhen. (13 June 2009) "Dot.coms riding a new wave". Straits Times, Singapore Press Holdings
- Supian, Hedirman. (21 November 2008) "Startups line up for Microsoft aid". Today, MediaCorp p.B2
- (21 November 2008) "12 家起步公司，参加微软BizSpark计划". Lianhe Zaobao, Singapore Press Holdings p.27.
- Channel NewsAsia, Money Mind Episode 41, 11 January 2009
- Goh, Daniel. (15 June 2009) "TheMobileGamer: Trying Games On The Go"
- Goh, Daniel. (17 June 2009) "Four Singapore Startups Enter Global Business Plan Competition by DFJ and Cisco"
- Goh, Daniel. (20 June 2009) "Singapore Startups At CommunicAsia 2009"
- Fung, Esther. (7 January 2009) "Biotech firms feel the chill", Today, MediaCorp
- [http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/business/0,39044229,62058370,00.htm Yeo, Vivian. (6 October 2009) "Asian tech startups still worthwhile investments", ZDNet Asia, Ziff Davis Publishing Company
- The Hyper Team @ Venture Hype (15 May 2009) "Interview with VC Nicholas Chan Part I: From Entrepreneur to Venture Capitalist", Venture Hype Corporation
- Yong, Debbie and Huang Huifen. (27 January 2009) "Giving teen entrepreneurs an early start", The Straits Times, Singapore Press Holdings
- Liew, Wayne (17 July 2009) "10 Entrepreneurship Lessons Venture Capitalist Nicholas Chan Taught Me (Part 1)", Wayne Liew Dot Com
- Goh, Daniel. (21 October 2008). "How Would You Invest S$10,000?"
- Lim, Cristyano. (17 November 2008). "Featured Startup: Azione Capital Pte Ltd"
- The Hyper Team @ Venture Hype (22 May 2009) "Interview with VC Nicholas Chan Part II: Identifying Winners", Venture Hype Corporation
- News Release (5 February 2009) "BizAsia Entrepreneurial Exchange Programme 2009"
- Loh, Justin (26 February 2008) "Business Forum @ SMU"
- MyVenture (Volume 1, March 2008). What do VCs look for in a start up? Must Read Publications Pte Ltd. p.20. ISSN 1793-6241.
- MyVenture (Volume 2, June 2008). What do VCs look for in a start up part 2. Must Read Publications Pte Ltd. p.20. ISSN 1793-6241.
- Goh, Daniel. (20 April 2009) "Relationship 101 for Startups: Guanxi Matters"
- Cameron, Nicholas. (24 August 2009) "#15 Nicholas Chan, Singapore Venture Capitalist"
- Team Azione Capital page on the World Community Grid
- Azione Capital Pte Ltd
- Azione Capital on LinkedIn
- Azione Capital on CrunchBase
- Media Development Authority, Singapore, Interactive Digital Media R&D Programme Office