Aznar Sánchez of Gascony
Aznar (or Asnar) Sánchez (Basque: Aznar Antso, French: Aznard Sanche, Gascon: Aznar Sans) (died 836) was the Duke of Gascony from 820. He was the supposed son of Sancho I of Gascony, though he has been identified with Aznar Galíndez I, Count of Aragon.
In 820, Lupo III Centule rose in rebellion against Carolingian authority and Berengar of Toulouse and Guerin of Provence marched against him, defeated him, and installed Aznar, a count of local provenance, in his place. However, both Aragon and Navarre remained outside Carolingian control and western Gascony continued in revolt.
In 824, according to the Vita Hludowici, the counts Aznar and Aeblus (Eblus atque Asenarius committees) led an army against rebellious Pamplona. According to the Annales regni Francorum of Einhard, they (Aeblus et Asinarius comites) brought a great deal of wealth with them. They were defeated in a "second Roncesvalles" and Pamplona gained its independence while the two counts were captured. Aznar, however, being a relative (consanguineus) of his captors, according to Astronomus, was released.
Aznar fell out with Berengar's successor in the March of Gothia, Bernard of Septimania. In 828, Gascony revolted again. In 836, Aznar was killed (a horrible death) putting down a revolt in Gascony, which had been in tumult since his absence of 824, and was replaced by his brother Sancho, despite the objections of King Pepin.
- Bearing the title of "count of Vasconia Citerior."
- Lewis, 44.
- Higounet, 34.
- Higounet, 34. From the Annales regni Francorum.
- Lewis, 45 n47.
- Collins, Roger (1990). The Basques (2nd ed.). Oxford: Basil Blackwell. ISBN 0631175652.
- Higounet, Charles (1963). Bordeaux pendant le haut moyen âge. Bordeaux: Fédération Historique de Sud-Ouest. OCLC 2272117.
- Higounet, Charles (1948). "Les Aznar: une tentative de groupement de comtés gascons et pyrénéens au IXe siècle". Annales du Midi. 61 (1): 5–14.
- Lewis, Archibald R. (1965). The Development of Southern French and Catalan Society, 718–1050. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press.
- Codera y Zaidín, Francisco (1901). "Expedición a Pamplona de los condes francos Eblo y Aznar". Revista de Aragón. 2: 48–52; reprinted in Colección de Estudios Árabes 7 (1903), pp. 185–98.
|Duke of Gascony