|Born||February 19, 1931|
|Died||February 22, 2004(aged 73)|
|Institutions||University of Maryland, College Park|
|Doctoral advisor||Ellis Kolchin (mathematician, Columbia University)|
|Known for||pioneering contributions to digital image analysis
Azriel Rosenfeld Award
|Notable awards||IEEE Emanuel R. Piore Award (1985)
King-Sun Fu Prize (1988)
Norbert Wiener Award of the IEEE (1995)
Professor Azriel Rosenfeld (February 19, 1931 – February 22, 2004) was an American Research Professor, a Distinguished University Professor, and Director of the Center for Automation Research at the University of Maryland in College Park, Maryland, where he also held affiliate professorships in the Departments of Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Psychology. He held a Ph.D. in mathematics from Columbia University (1957), rabbinic ordination (1952) and a Doctor of Hebrew Literature degree (1955) from Yeshiva University, honorary Doctor of Technology degrees from Linkoping University (1980) and Oulu University (1994), and an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from Yeshiva University (2000); he was awarded an honorary Doctor of Science degree from the Technion (2004, conferred posthumously). He was a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (1994).
Professor Rosenfeld was a leading researcher in the field of computer image analysis. Over a period of nearly 40 years he made many fundamental and pioneering contributions to nearly every area of that field. He wrote the first textbook in the field (1969); was founding editor of its first journal (1972); and was co-chairman of its first international conference (1987). He published over 30 books and over 600 book chapters and journal articles, and directed nearly 60 Ph.D. dissertations.
Professor Rosenfeld's research on digital image analysis (specifically on digital geometry and digital topology, and on the accurate measurement of statistical features of digital images) in the 1960s and 1970s formed the foundation for a generation of industrial vision inspection systems that have found widespread applications from the automotive to the electronics industry.
In honor of the memory of Professor Rosenfeld, ICCV gives the biennial Azriel Rosenfeld Award to a living person in the recognition of an outstanding life-time contribution to the field of image understanding or computer vision.
- History page of CS Dep at UoM
- PhD students of Azriel Rosenfeld
- Nagao: In memory of Prof. A. Rosenfeld
- Cantoni and Levialdi: Azriel Rosenfeld and the genesis of modern image systems
- Pavlidis: Discrete geometry and Azriel Rosenfeld
- 1994 Harry H. Goode Memorial Award Recipient Azriel Rosenfeld
- (IJCV) Davis: In memory of Azriel Rosenfeld
- Elsevier's biography for Azriel Rosenfeld[permanent dead link]
- In memory of Rabbi Dr. Azriel Rosenfeld
- (IEEE PAMI) Chellappa and Kriegman: In memoriam, Azriel Rosenfeld (1931-2004)
- Books by Azriel Rosenfeld
- Workshop on "Computer Vision and Image Analysis To Commemorate Azriel Rosenfeld's Career"
- Advances in image understanding: a festschrift for Azriel Rosenfeld
- Memorial service Azriel Rosenfeld
- Images for Azriel Rosenfeld[permanent dead link]
- IAPR condolences[permanent dead link]
- CFAR condolences