|E. n. nana|
The olive-throated parakeet (Eupsittula nana), also known as the olive-throated conure in aviculture, is a species of parrot in the family Psittacidae. It is found in forest and woodland in Meso- and Central America.
This is a green parakeet with a brown throat and orange eyes in adults, brown eyes in juveniles. Its flight call is a noisy screech; the species also utters harsh twittering sounds and piercing chirps. Measures 21.5–24 cm (8.5–9.4 in) and weighs 75–85 g (2.6–3.0 oz).
Taxonomy and distribution
The species occurs in two widely disjunct population, with the nominate subspecies restricted to Jamaica and the astec group (including subspecies vicinalis) occurring from north-eastern Mexico through the Yucatan Peninsula and along the Caribbean slope of Central America as far south as north-western Panama. The two are very similar and most authorities consider them to be part of a single species, but some have recommended splitting them, in which case the former becomes the Jamaican parakeet (E. nana) and the latter the Aztec parakeet (E. astec).
The olive-throated parakeet inhabits wooded hill and mountain slopes but also makes use of cultivated areas and scrubland in humid or semi-arid areas up to moderate elevations above sea level, being most common at heights of around 1,000 m (3,300 ft).
The parakeet feeds on the buds and fruit as well as some crops, which has resulted in it being regarded as a pest species in some areas. The species reportedly nests only in arboreal termite nests found in trees of at least medium size.
- BirdLife International (2014). "Eupsittula nana". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN. 2014: e.T45418540A45418571. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2014-2.RLTS.T45418540A45418571.en.
- "Olive-throated Conure (Eupsittula nana)". World Parrot Trust Encyclopedia.
- Soberanes-González, C.; Rodríguez-Flores, C.; Arizmendi, M.C. (2010). Schulenberg, T.S., ed. "Olive-throated Parakeet (Eupsittula nana)". Neotropical Birds Online. Ithaca: Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eupsittula nana.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Eupsittula nana|
- BirdLife species factsheet for Eupsittula nana
- "Eupsittula nana". Avibase.
- "Olive-throated parakeet media". Internet Bird Collection.
- Olive-throated parakeet photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Interactive range map of Eupsittula nana at IUCN Red List maps
- Audio recordings of Olive-throated parakeet on Xeno-canto.
- Eupsittula nana in the Flickr: Field Guide Birds of the World