Azzam (2013 yacht)
|Owner||Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan|
|Launched||5 April 2013|
|Class and type||Super yacht|
|Length||180 m (590 ft)|
|Beam||20.8 m (68 ft)|
|Draft||4.3 m (14 ft 1 in)|
|Speed||32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph)|
|Boats & landing |
Azzam (English: Resolute) is a private super yacht built by German shipyard Lürssen Yachts. Azzam was launched on 5 April 2013. At 180 metres (590 ft) in length, it is the longest private motor yacht in the world. It has a beam of 20.8 metres (68 ft) and an unusually shallow draft of 4.3 m (14 ft 1 in). The yacht was delivered on 9 September 2013.
Engineer Mubarak Saad al Ahbabi directed the construction of Azzam, with technical engineering by Lürssen Yachts including design by Nauta Yachts and interior design by Christophe Leoni. Following a year of engineering, the yacht was built in three years, which is a record building time according to Superyacht Times. Azzam possesses the ability to travel at high speed in shallow waters.
Among many other features, the yacht has a main salon with a length of 29 m (95 ft) and a beam of 18 m (59 ft) with an open plan and no pillars. It can travel in excess of 32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph) powered by a combination of two gas turbines and two diesel engines with a total power output of 35,048 kW (47,000 hp) through four pump-jets. Two of the pump-jets are non-movable round water outlets in the middle of the stern, and two with thrust vectoring capabilities using moveable duct water outlets positioned on either side of the non-movable ones.
Ownership and use
Azzam was commissioned by Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, president of the United Arab Emirates (till his death in 2022). The yacht is listed for charter without a price; however, according to Motor Boat & Yacht magazine, the yacht is in actuality not available for charter, and the charter listing, similar to Roman Abramovich's Eclipse, is aimed to avoid European taxation, as charter yachts are exempt from property tax.
- Daniel Fisher (5 April 2012). "German Shipyard Launches World's Largest Private Yacht at 591 Feet". Forbes. Archived from the original on 12 June 2018. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Azzam Yacht Specifications". SuperYachts.com. Archived from the original on 13 November 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Azzam, World's Largest Yacht, Reappears at Lürssen". MegaYacht News. 5 April 2013. Archived from the original on 7 November 2017. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "World's longest-ever bespoke gigayacht Azzam". lurssen.com. Archived from the original on 2 December 2020. Retrieved 21 November 2020.
- "More details released on 180 metre Lürssen superyacht Azzam". Superyacht Times. 5 April 2013. Archived from the original on 22 November 2015. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Nauta Yachts comments on their design for superyacht Azzam". SuperYacht Times. 9 April 2013. Archived from the original on 11 April 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Azzam Mega Yacht, Built By Lürssen, Snatches Title Of 'Largest Motor Yacht in the World'". International Business Times. 10 April 2013. Archived from the original on 12 October 2017. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- Schilling, David Russel. "World's Largest Superyacht Comes with a Bullet Proof Master Suite & Missile Defense System". industry tap. Archived from the original on 13 November 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- SuperYachtFan. "Superyacht Azzam". SuperYachtFan. Archived from the original on 22 March 2014. Retrieved 22 March 2014.