|• Total||3.25 km2 (1.25 sq mi)|
|Population (31 December 2010)|
|• Density||986/km2 (2,550/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The river Ljungan runs through Matfors. It is situated about 15 kilometers west of Sundsvall, a city with about 45,000 inhabitants. In Matfors there are two schools: Sköle Skola and Matfors Skola, both sharing the same school yard.
Matfors is said to have got its name from the rich supply of salmon (Swedish: lax) in the river Ljungan, by which the town was built. The name Matfors consists of two parts: mat (food) and fors (river stream).
Matfors was for some time its own community/municipality (Swedish: kommun) but then first merged with Attmar and later Sundsvall (beginning of the 1970s). The town of Matfors was for a long time of less importance than the town of Lucksta in the two adjacent parishes of Attmar and Tuna, until the Matfors-bridge was built across the river Ljungan. Later on a sawmill and a papermill were built together with several other minor industries which increased the town's importance towards dominating the area.
The papermill was closed in 1990, at the time owned by SCA, and the original main building now hosts about 20 small businesses. The Matfors area as a whole is home to many small businesses, but many residents also commute to the neighbouring town of Sundsvall. A mid-sized business located in Matfors is SBL Vaccin, a subsidiary of Active Biotech.
Matfors has the following urban districts:
- Ljungan, both a district and a river Ljungan, running through Matfors.
- Fors[disambiguation needed]
Reliable communications are provided by the European route E14.
Some organizations in Matfors with their own web-sites:
- Tuna Hembygsförening - native district org. with photo of E14 exit towards Matfors
- Matfors Idrottsförening - soccer
- Matfors Badmintonklubb - badminton
- Matfors Vattenskidklubb - waterski
- Matfors Modellflygklubb - model airplane
- Matfors Skoterklubb - snow mobile
- Matfors Brukshundklubb - dogs
- Matfors Sportfiske Klubb - fishing
- Matfors Jaktskytteklubb - hunting/shooting
- Matfors Ryttarförening - horseriding
The following sports clubs are located in Matfors:
- "Tätorternas landareal, folkmängd och invånare per km2 2005 och 2010" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 14 December 2011. Archived from the original on 10 January 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.