Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur
The flagship stand in Tryggvagata
The chain has been in continuous operation since 1937 when the first stand was set up on Austurstræti street at the very centre of the city by the grandfather of the current owner, Guðrún Kristmundsdóttir. In the 1960s, it moved two streets north to Tryggvagata, across from the Harpa Concert Hall, where the current flagship stand remains today.
In August 2004, the stand was visited by former United States president Bill Clinton while he was visiting Iceland for a UNICEF conference. This celebrity appearance led to a boost in popularity for the stand as it began appearing in tourism guidebooks on Iceland. Two years later in August 2006, the British newspaper The Guardian selected Bæjarins Beztu as the best hot dog stand in Europe.
Today, the chain is popular with both tourists and locals. There are three additional locations in the city, which together sell over one thousand hot dogs on a busy day.
Bæjarins Beztu sells hot dogs that are lamb-based with pork and beef. They're served in a bun with a choice of condiments: ketchup, sweet mustard, remoulade, crisp fried onion and raw onion. Customers who want everything often use the Icelandic phrase "eina með öllu" (English: "one with everything").
A number of celebrity patrons have visited the stand.
- Jason Hesse (31 October 2014). "Meet The World's Most Famous Hotdog [sic] Vendor". Forbes. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- Alexandra Young (7 July 2010). "Bæjarins Beztu, Seriously". The Reykjavík Grapevine. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Clinton fékk sér pylsu á Bæjarins bestu". Morgunblaðið (in Icelandic). 24 August 2004. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "Fyrrum íorseti á Bæjarins bestu Clinton vildi bara sinnep". Dagblaðið Vísir (in Icelandic). 25 August 2004. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "Selur bestu pylsur í Evrópu". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). 22 August 2006. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "Five best European food stalls". The Guardian. 12 August 2006. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Opnunartími". Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur (in Icelandic).
- Tori Haschka (4 April 2011). "Is This the Best Hot Dog in the World?". Huffington Post. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Fyrrum forseti á Bæjarins bestu". DV. 2004-08-25.
- "Vilja fá mynd eins og Clinton - myndband". RÚV (in Icelandic). 2014-10-31. Retrieved 2020-12-06.
- "Íslendingar klofnir með staðsetningu remúlaðis". www.frettabladid.is. Retrieved 2020-12-06.
- "The Icelandic Hot Dog". Wake Up Reykjavik. Retrieved 26 March 2017.
- 고원TV EP.04 핫도그월드 플리즈~
|This Iceland-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|