|• Total||5.61 km2 (2.17 sq mi)|
|Elevation||828 m (2,717 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2015)|
|• Density||300/km2 (790/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Gais, Schlatt-Haslen (AI), Speicher, Teufen, Trogen|
Bühler is first mentioned in 1479 as Ullrich Büllershoff.
Bühler has an area, as of 2006[update], of 5.6 km2 (2.2 sq mi). Of this area, 62.7% is used for agricultural purposes, while 26% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 10.6% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (0.7%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The municipality is located in the Appenzell Mittelland on the north side of the Rotbachtal. It consists of the village of Bühler and scattered hamlets and factories.
Bühler has a population (as of 2008[update]) of 1,652, of which about 23.5% are foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -4.3%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (84.2%), with Italian being second most common ( 3.6%) and Serbo-Croat being third ( 2.7%).
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 49.1% male and 50.9% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Bühler is; 155 people or 9.7% of the population are between 0–6 years old. 177 people or 11.1% are 6-15, and 65 people or 4.1% are 16-19. Of the adult population, 97 people or 6.1% of the population are between 20–24 years old. 450 people or 28.2% are 25-44, and 413 people or 25.8% are 45-64. The senior population distribution is 168 people or 10.5% of the population are between 65–79 years old, and 73 people or 4.6% are over 80.
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Bühler about 65.3% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Bühler has an unemployment rate of 1.19%. As of 2005[update], there were 61 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 24 businesses involved in this sector. 517 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 32 businesses in this sector. 170 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 45 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 30 August 2016
- Bühler in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived January 5, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. accessed 15-Sep-2009
- Brief Statistics for the half-canton (in German) accessed 15 September 2009
- Appenzell Outer Rhodes website (in German) accessed 15 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bühler AR.|