B. R. Panthulu
|B. R. Panthulu|
Panthulu, pictured in 1948
|Born||Boodgur Ramakrishnaiah Panthulu
26 July 1910
|Died||8 October 1974(aged 64)|
|Occupation||Actor, Director, Producer|
|Children||B. R. Vijayalakshmi, B.R.Ravishankar|
Boodgur Ramakrishnaiah Panthulu (26 July 1910 – 8 October 1974), better known as B. R. Panthulu, was an Indian film director, producer, and actor. He is best known for directing films in Kannada, Tamil, Telugu and Hindi. His most popular films are Sri Krishnadevaraya, School master, Kittur Channamma, Karnan, Veerapandiya Kattabomman, B. R. Panthulu which earned good name for ever for him in Indian film history converted Ma. Po. Si.'s biography works 'Veerapandiya Kattabomman' (a movie about a local chieftain who fought with the British in the 18th century in Tamil Nadu) and Kappalottiya Thamizhan' (a movie about a disciple Of Bal Gangathar Thilak, leading lawyer, first leader in South India, called as Thilak of South India) who rebelled against the British rule that forbade Tamils operating shipping companies) to celluloid.
Before coming into the film industry, he worked as a teacher. He made his debut as an actor in the 1936 Kannada movie Samsara Nauke. Samsara Nauke was produced by Devi Films based in Chennai. Directed by H. L. N. Simha, the film starred B.R. Panthulu, M.V. Rajamma, Dikki Madhava Rao, S.K. Padmadevi, and M.S. Madhava Rao. The hero marries against his grandfather's wishes and is cast out. His troubles do not end here – he finds no favour with his in-laws, loses his job, and finds himself accused of murdering the bride his grandfather had chosen for him.The film was adapted from a play by the Chadrakala Natak Mandali, and remained true to the original's reformist ideal. He made his directional debut in the 1957 movie Thangamalai Ragasiyam (1957), which he produced himself.He directed many remarkable Kannada movies like School master, Sri Krishna deva Raya,Kittur Channamma etc.,
He has produced and directed 57 films in all South Indian languages under the banner of Padmini Pictures.
|1936||Samsara Nauka||N||N||Kannada||Debut as actor|
|1954||Kalyanam Panniyum Brahmachari||N||Tamil|
|1958||Engal Kudumbam Perisu||Tamil|
|1960||Kuzhandhaigal Kanda Kudiyarasu||Tamil|
|1960||Pillalu Techina Challani Rajyam||Telugu|
|1962||Dil Tera Diwana||Hindi|
|1968||Ragasiya Police 115||Tamil|
|1970||Thedi Vandha Mappillai||Tamil|
|1972||Ondu Hennina Kathe||Kannada|
- 1958: All India Certificate of Merit for Third Best Feature film – School Master
- 1959: Certificate of Merit for Best Feature Film in Tamil – Veerapandiya Kattabomman
- 1961: Certificate of Merit for Best Feature Film in Kannada – Kittur Chennamma
- 1961: President's Silver Medal for Best Feature Film in Tamil – Kappalottiya Thamizhan
Book on B.R.Pantulu
A. N. Prahlada Rao has written a Book on B.R.Pantulu in Kannada, consisting of the details of his childhood, theater, films produced in Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, Hindi and Maleyalam. The book was published by Karnataka Chalanachitra Academy. The book was released in November 2016 by Dr. Bharati Vishnuvardhan. Journalist and short story writer Jogi spoke on Book. S.V. Rajendra Singh Baabu presided.
- KCA celebrating BR Panthulu's 100th birth anniversary at Oneindia.in
- "Hundred years of legendary director BR Panthulu". merinews.com. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "6th National Film Awards". International Film Festival of India. Retrieved 3 September 2011.
- "7th National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- "9th National Film Awards". International Film Festival of India. Retrieved 8 September 2011.