Dr. Ekbal Bappukunju is a public health activist, a neurosurgeon, and an academic in Kerala, India. He was the Vice-chancellor of the University of Kerala during the period 2000–2004. He was a member of the Kerala State Planning Board from 1996 to 2000, during which he played a vital role in People's Plan Campaign, a decentralisation move by the Government of Kerala. He was the Chairman of Kerala State Pollution Control Board. He is also one of the joint convenors of Jan Swasthya Abhiyan (Public Health Movement - India). He is the President of the Democratic Alliance For Knowledge Freedom, Kerala.
He was the chairperson of the Expert Committee set up by the Government of Kerala to explore the possibility of setting up a new university of health sciences. The committee submitted its report on the proposed structure and functions of the university in April 2007.
Ekbal is an activist of Kerala Sastra Sahitya Parishad and has held various offices in the organisation. He was the President of Kerala Sastra Sahithya Parishad from 1983-85. He wasformer editor of the online Science Journal of Kerala Sastra Sahithya Parishad: www.luca.co.in.
Ekbal is a follower of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI(M)) from which he was expelled in 2004 by left-wing hardliners. His membership was later restored. He is married to Dr. A Meharunnisa, the former Principal and Professor of Anatomy of Govt. TD Medical College at Alappuzha.
- Former vice-chancellors of the University of Kerala  Accessed: 2008-10-20. (Archived by WebCite at )
- Kerala state pollution control board members
- Jan Swasthya Abhiyan (Public Health Movement - India)
- Focus on promoting medical research in State  Accessed: 2008-10-20. (Archived by WebCite at )
- http://archives.digitaltoday.in/indiatoday/20040621/nation3.html. Accessed: 2008-10-20. (Archived by WebCite at )
- "Kerala Assembly Election - 2011 CPI (M) Candidates". Kerala: List of Candidates. CPI(M). Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- Elamon, Joy; Franke, Richard W.; Ekbal, B. (2004), "Decentralization of health services: the Kerala People's Campaign." (PDF), Int J Health Serv., New York: Baywood Publishing Co., 34 (4): 681–708, doi:10.2190/4L9M-8K7N-G6AC-WEHN, ISSN 0020-7314, PMID 15560430, archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-09-01
- Ekbal, B. (2000-12-08). People’s Campaign for Decentralised Planning and the Health Sector in Kerala. People's Health Assembly, 1st meeting, Gonoshasthaya Kendra, Savar, Bangladesh. People's Health Movement. Archived from the original on 2008-12-04. Retrieved 2008-10-20. External link in
- Ekbal, B., ed. (1988), A Decade after Hathi Committee (Committee on Drugs and Pharmaceutical Industry), Trivandrum, India: Kerala Sastra Sahitya Parishad, OCLC 21041689[permanent dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to B. Ekbal.|