B. N. Suresh
B. N. Suresh
|Born||12 November 1943|
|Alma mater||MTech (IIT Madras), |
PhD (University of Salford, UK)
|Known for||Satellite Launch Vehicle Design|
|Fields||Mechanical Engineering and Rocket technology|
|Institutions||Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, |
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology
Byrana Nagappa Suresh (born 12 November 1943) is an Indian aerospace scientist. He is presently the Chancellor, Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, IIST at Thiruvanthapuram and Honorary Distinguished Professor at ISRO HQ. He was President Indian National Academy of Engineering, INAE at Delhi, which is a premier engineering Academy in the Country for four years during 2015 to 2018. He served as the Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram during the period 2003–2007. He is known for his contribution to the development of Indian launch vehicles, Space Capsule Recovery Experiments (SRE)and also for R& D management. Suresh also served as the founding director of Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), Thiruvananthapuram. He retired from IIST in November 2010. He was Vikram Sarabhai Distinguished Professor at ISRO HQ for 5 years since November 2010 and also as distinguished professor at IIT, Mumbai and MIT, Manipal for 3 years. He was a member of the board of governors (BOG) for IIT, Madras for 7years till july 2018. He is also chairman of the governing council for MVJ College of Engineering at Bangalore. He is the vice chair for the Design Division of Aeronautical Society of India. He is one of the associate editors of the book – From Fishing Hamlet To Red Planet – that traces the history of Indian Space Research Organisation.
Early life and education
Suresh had a very humble early life, with his father determined to make him an engineer. His father B. Nagappa was an agriculturist in Hosakere, Andagar, a small village near Koppa town situated near the holy town of Sringeri in Karnataka, India. He attended his entire schooling in Andagar and Koppa and studied in Kannada medium. After his bachelor's degree in science in 1963 and engineering in 1967 from Mysore University, he took his master's degree in mechanical engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Madras in 1969. He did his doctorate in control systems from Salford University, United Kingdom, in 1978.
He is a fellow of several professional bodies like Indian National Academy of Engineering, FNAE (INAE),Indian National Academy of Sciences, FNA, (INSA), Astronautical Society of India(ASI), Aeronautical Society of India (AeSI), Indian Society of System Engineering for Science and Engineering(ISSE)and full member for International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) at Paris. He is also Fellow and past President for System Society of India(SSI).
He has made significant contributions in the international area too. To name a few, he was head of the Indian delegation for the United Nations Committee on Peaceful Uses of Outer Space at Vienna, Austria, during 2004–2007. He was selected as chairman of the prestigious United Nations Scientific and Technical Committee for the year 2006 from the Asia Pacific Countries. This was a unique distinction, since from the inception of UN Committee in the last 42 years a technical expert from a developing country was selected for this coveted post. He was Chairman for the selection of members in S&T area for International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) for five years. He was also co-chair for programme committee for the conduct of International Astronautical Congress in 2007.
He has delivered several prestigious guest lectures like, Ramanujam memorial, Vikram Sarabhai memorial, Dr. Srinivasan memorial, APJ Abdul kalam memorial lecture, Dr Subir Kar memorial lecture and many more in prominent Institutions and national conferences. He has given invited lectures at several International Institutions like, European Space Policy Institute, Paris, Space Institute at Strasbourg, United Nations conferences at Vienna, NASA conference on Project Management at Houston, US, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Los Angeles, and many more. He has written a book titled "Integrated Design for Space Transportation System" in association with his colleague Dr. K Sivan in November 2015 highlighting the complexities of rocket science, Published by international publisher M/s Springers.
He has published around 42 papers in reputed international and national journals, conferences and guided more than 450 technical reports on various technology developments at VSSC during his stay of 38 years. The areas encompass a variety of subjects ranging from vehicle control system design, navigation and guidance, actuation systems, sensors, simulation, the test systems, vehicle & mission design aspects and also on management topics.
- He is a recipient of Padma Shri award by Government of India (2002).
- He is recipient of Kannada Rajyotsava Award 2014 by Government of Karnataka for contributions in Science and Technology
- Distinguished Alumni Award – IIT Madras (2004).
- Dr. Biren Roy Space Science and/or Design Award, 1993 by the Aeronautical Society of India.
- ASI Award 1996, for Rocket & Related Technologies, by AstronauticalSociety of India, 1996
- "AGNI" Award for excellence in Self Reliance by Defence Research & Development Laboratory, Ministry of Defence in 1999.
- "Ramanujam Memorial Award" PSG Coimbatore at National System Conference, 2005
- "Technical Excellence award' by Lions International, Trivandrum, Jan 2006
- "Outstanding Achievement Award" by Indian Space Research Organisation in June 2007.
- "Lifetime Achievement Award" by Indian National Academy of Engineering, INAE) Delhi, in Dec 2007
- "National Systems Gold Medal" for lifetime contributions for large Systems by System Society of India in Dec 2007.
- "Aryabhata Award" for excellent contributions in space technology by Astronautical society of India, for 2009
- "Big Kannadiga Award" for contributions to Science & Technology by 92.7 BIG FM radio in 2014
- "MR Kurup Endowment Award" by Centre for Indian Consumers Research, Trivandrum, for outstanding contributions in space education and research in 2015.
- "Lifetime Achievement Award" by the Karnataka State Science and Technology Academy for his contributions in Science and Technologiesin 2015
- "Lifetime achievement Award" by Department of Space, Government of India for his invaluable life time contributions for the development of Rocket Technologies in 2017
- "Pioneer Award" an International Award given at Washington, USA by the International Council for System Engineering for his pioneer work in space system engineering, in July 2018
- "Accuracy of return unbelievable: B.N. Suresh". The Hindu. 23 January 2007. Retrieved 17 June 2009.
- "B. N. Suresh". IIST. Retrieved 25 December 2009.
- Organization, Indian Space Research (28 December 2015). From Fishing Hamlet to Red Planet: India's Space Journey. Harper Collins India. ISBN 9789351776895. ASIN 9351776891.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 March 2013. Retrieved 25 January 2013.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Padma Shri Awardees