B. S. Daya Sagar
|B. S. Daya Sagar|
Sagar in 2014.
|Alma mater||Andhra University College of Engineering|
Geographical information science
Indian Statistical Institute-Bangalore Centre|
National University of Singapore
Andhra University College of Engineering
|Doctoral advisors||B. S. Parakasa Rao and SVLN Rao|
|Notable students||Alan Tan Wee Chiat|
Behara Seshadri Daya Sagar FRGS, also known as B. S. Daya Sagar (born in 1967 in India) is an Indian Mathematical Geoscientist specializing in Mathematical Morphology. He is a Professor of Computer Science in Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore. He is known as a specialist in mathematical morphology, fractal geometry. chaos theory, and their applications in geophysics, geographical information science, and computational geography. Indian Geophysical Union awarded him the Krishnan Medal in 2002. He is the first Asian to receive the Georges Matheron Lectureship in 2011.
Daya Sagar had his school and collegiate education at St. Anthony's School, Visakhapatnam, Government High School-Samalkota, Government Arts College-Srikakulam, India. He graduated with BSc in 1987 from Shree Durga Prasad Saraf College of Arts and Applied Sciences, Sriramnagar, an affiliated college of Andhra University. Subsequently, he received the M.Sc and PhD degrees from the Andhra University College of Engineering-Visakhapatnam, India, in 1991 and 1994 respectively. His PhD thesis is on 'Applications of Remote Sensing, Mathematical Morphology, and Fractals to Study Certain Surface Water Bodies'.
After receiving his doctorate, Sagar worked in Andhra University College of Engineering as a Research Associate (1994–95 and 1998-98) of CSIR, a Research Scientist/Principal Investigator (1997-7) in a Scheme for Extramural Research for Young Scientists funded by Ministry of Science and Technology. From 1998-2001, he worked as a Research Scientist at the Centre for Remote Imaging Sensing and Processing (CRISP) of the National University of Singapore. He was appointed Associate Professor of Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Multimedia University (MMU), Malaysia in 2001 and was also a Deputy Chairman of Centre for Applied Electromagnetics (2003–07) there. During 2007-13, he has been an Associate Professor at Indian Statistical Institute-Bangalore centre, and since 2009, he has been overseeing as founding head of SSIU, a unit established in 2009 as a constituent unit of its Computer and Communication Sciences Division. Since 2013, he has been a professor at Indian Statistical Institute.
Sagar’s research contributions span both basic and applied fields involves fusion of computer simulations and modeling techniques in order to develop cogent models in discrete space to gain an understanding of dynamical behavior of complex terrestrial systems, such as water bodies, river networks, mountain objects, folds, dunes, landscapes, and rock porous media. He developed specific technologies and spatial algorithms for using data acquired at multiple spatial and temporal scales for developing cogent domain-specific models. His work employs concepts stemmed out of recent theories—such as mathematical morphology, fractals, chaos, and morphometrics—to develop spatial algorithms for (i) pattern retrieval, (ii) pattern analysis, (iii) simulation and modeling, and (iv) reasoning and visualization of the spatial and temporal phenomena of terrestrial and GISci relevance. His studies show that there exist several open challenges that need to be addressed by mathematical geosciences community. One of such challenges is to understand the complexity in spatiotemporal behaviors of several terrestrial phenomena and processes via construction of process-specific attractors that may range from simple to strange.
Sagar has been honored with the Georges Matheron Lectureship Award of International Association for Mathematical Geosciences for outstanding research ability in the field of spatial statistics or mathematical morphology. In 2002 he received Krishnan Medal of the Indian Geophysical Union. As recipient of this medal, Sagar was made IGU Fellow in 2011. In 1995, he received Dr. Balakrishna Memorial Award from the Regional Centre of Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences. He is an elected Fellow of Royal Geographical Society (1999), Fellow of Indian Geophysical Union (2011), Senior Member of IEEE (2003) and was a member of New York Academy of Science during 1995-96. He is on the Editorial Boards of Discrete Dynamics of Nature and Society, and Computers & Geosciences. He has published 60+ papers in peer reviewed international journals, 2 books, and 7 edited Special-Theme issues for well known journals. He has been on Editorial Boards of Computers and Geosciences and Discrete Dynamics in Nature & Society.
- Editor of Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society: Multidisciplinary Research and Review Journal
- Editorial Board Member, Computers & Geosciences
- Review Editor of Environmental Informatics-Frontiers
- Associate Editor of Image Analysis & Stereology
- Founding Chairman, Bangalore Section IEEE GRSS Chapter
Honors and awards
- Award of IAMG Certificate of Appreciation - 2018 from International Association for Mathematical Geosciences
- Georges Matheron Lectureship Award-2011 from International Association for Mathematical Geosciences '
- CURZONCO-SESHACHALAM LECTURES-5(2009)
- Krishnan Medal 2002 from Indian Geophysical Union
- Dr. Balakrishna Memorial Award 1995 from Regional Centre of Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences
- Fellow, Indian Geophysical Union
- Fellow, Royal Geographical Society
- B. S. Daya Sagar, Qiuming Cheng, and Frits Agterberg, Handbook of Mathematical Geosciences: Fifty Years of IAMG, Springer Publishers: Cham, p. 942, 2018.
- B. S. Daya Sagar, Mathematical Morphology in Geomorphology and GISci, CRC Press: Boca Raton, p. 546, 2013.
- B. S. Daya Sagar, Qualitative Models of Certain Discrete Natural Features of Drainage Environment, Allied Publishers: New Delhi, p. 231, 2005.
Edited Journal Special Issues
- B. S. Daya Sagar (with Avik Bhattacharya, Lorenzo Bruzzone and Paul A. Rosen) (Eds.), Special Issue on "Applied Earth Observation and Remote Sensing in India", IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, v. 10, no. 12, 2017.
- B. S. Daya Sagar (with Laurent Najman, Junior Barrera, Petros Maragos, and Dan Schonfeld) (Eds.), Special Issue on 'Filtering and Segmentation with Mathematical Morphology' IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, v. 6, no. 7, p. 737-886, 2012.
- B. S. Daya Sagar (with Jean Serra) (Eds.), Special Issue on 'Spatial Information Retrieval, Analysis, Reasoning and Modelling', International Journal of Remote Sensing, v. 31, no. 22, p. 5747-6032, 2010.
- B. S. Daya Sagar (with Lori Mann Bruce) (Eds.), Special Section on 'Surficial Mapping', IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters (ISSN 1545-598X). v. 2, no. 4, p. 375-408, 2005.
- B. S. Daya Sagar (with G. Rangarajan and Daniele Veneziano) (Eds.) Special Issue on 'Fractals in Geophysics' Chaos Solitons & Fractals (Elsevier Publishers), v. 19, no. 2, p. 237-462, 2004.
- B. S. Daya Sagar (with C. Babu Rao) (Eds.), Special Issue on 'Quantitative Image Morphology' International Journal Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (World scientific Publishers), v. 17, no. 2, p. 163-330, 2003.
- B. S. Daya Sagar (Ed.): Special Issue 'In memory of the Late Professor SVLN Rao' Journal of Mathematical Geosciences (then Kluwer Academic Publishers), v. 33, no. 3, p. 245-396, 2001.
Selected Recent Journal Publications
- B. S. Daya Sagar, 2018, Variable-Specific classification of zones, pairs of zones, and clusters of a spatial system via modified gravity model, IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing, (In Press).
- Aditya Challa, Sravan Danda, B. S. Daya Sagar, and Laurent Najman, 2018, Some Properties of Interpolations Using Mathematical Morphology, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, v. 27, no. 4, p. 2038-2048.
- B. S. Daya Sagar and Lim Sin Liang, 2015, Morphing of Grayscale DEMs via Morphological Interpolations, IEEE Journal on Selected Topics on Applied Earth Observation and Remote Sensing, v. 8, no. 11, p. 5190-5198.
- B. S. Daya Sagar and Lim Sin Liang, 2015, Ranks for pairs of spatial fields via metric based on grayscale morphological distances, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, v. 24, no. 3, p. 908-918.
- B. S. Daya Sagar, 2014, Cartograms via mathematical morphology, Information Visualization, v. 13, no. 1, p. 42-58.
- B. S. Daya Sagar, 2010, Visualization of spatiotemporal behavior of discrete maps via generation of recursive median elements, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, v. 32, no. 2, p. 378-384.
- Lim Sin Liang, and B. S. Daya Sagar, 2008, Cloud field segmentation via multiscale convexity analysis, Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, v. 113, D13208.
- Alan W. C. Tan, M. V. C. Rao, and B. S. Daya Sagar, 2007, Robust signal subspace speech classifier, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, v. 14, no. 11, p. 844-847.
- B. S. Daya Sagar, 2007, Universal scaling laws in surface water bodies and their zones of influence, Water Resources Research, v. 43, no. 2, W02416.
- Alan W. C. Tan, M. V. C. Rao, and B. S. Daya Sagar, 2007, A discriminative signal subspace speech classifier, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, v. 14, no. 2, p. 133-136.
- Lea Tien Tay, B. S. Daya Sagar, and Chuah Hein Teik, 2006, Allometric relationships between travel-time channel networks, convex hulls, and convexity measures, Water Resources Research, v. 42, no. 6,W06502.
- Lea Tien Tay, B. S. Daya Sagar, and Chuah Hein Teik, 2005, Analysis of geophysical networks derived from multiscale digital elevation models: a morphological approach, I.E.E.E Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters. v. 2, no. 4, p. 399-403.
- L. Chockalingam and B. S. Daya Sagar, 2005, Morphometry of network and non-network space of basins, Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth, v. 110, B08203.
- B. S. Daya Sagar, 2005, Discrete simulations of spatio-temporal dynamics of small water bodies under varied streamflow discharges, Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, v. 12, p. 31-40.
- B. S. Daya Sagar and L. Chockalingam, 2004, Fractal dimension of non-network space of a catchment basin, Geophysical Research Letters, v. 31, no.12, L12502.
- B. S. Daya Sagar and Tay Lea Tien, (2004) Allometric power-law relationships in a Hortinian fractal digital elevation model, Geophysical Research Letters, v. 31, no. 6, L06501.
- "IAMG Certficate of Appreciation".
- "And Then: Comes Dawn". Retrieved 2018-08-19.
- "B. S. Daya Sagar." Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore. Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "What do Mathematical Geoscientists Do?: Letter to the Editor by John Harbaugh of Stanford University, IAMG Newsletter, NL89, p. 5" (PDF). Retrieved 2015-07-10.
- "Sagar: ResearcherID of Thomson Reuters". Retrieved 2014-09-19.
- "Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society-Editorial Board". Retrieved 2014-09-07.
- "Computers & Geosciences-Editorial Board". Retrieved 2014-09-07.
- "Environmental Informatics-Frontiers-Editorial Board". Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "Image Analysis & Stereology-Editorial Board". Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "Bangalore Section IEEE GRSS Chapter-Homepage". Retrieved 2014-09-07.
- "Bangalore Section IEEE GRSS Chapter-News". Retrieved 2014-09-07.
- "Georges Matheron Award Photos" (PDF). Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- "IAMG Newsletter No 82 May, Page 4;" (PDF). 2011-05-01. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- "CURZONCO-SESHACHALAM LECTURES-5(2009)-Announcement". Retrieved 2014-09-08.
- "CURZONCO-SESHACHALAM LECTURES-5(2009)". Retrieved 2014-09-08.
- "IGU fellows" (PDF). Indian Geophysical Union. 2016.
- B.S. Daya Sagar, Qiuming Cheng, and Frits Agterberg (2018). Handbook of Mathematical Geosciences: Fifty Years of IAMG, 2018, p.942. Springer Publishers, Cham. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-78999-6. ISBN 978-3-319-78998-9.
- B.S. Daya Sagar (2013-05-29). Mathematical Morphology in Geomorphology and GISci, 2013, p.546. CRC Press, Boca Raton. ISBN 9781439872000. Retrieved 2014-09-06.
- B.S. Daya Sagar. "Mathematical Morphology in Geomorphology and GISci, 2013, p.546". CRC Press, Boca Raton.
- "Editorial Reviews on Mathematical Morphology in Geomorphology and GISci". Retrieved 2014-09-07.
- "Book Review on Mathematical Morphology in Geomorphology and GISci, ACM Computing Reviews, Reviewer: Jose Manuel Palomares Munoz". Retrieved 2014-09-18.[permanent dead link]
- McGrath, Gerald (2013). "Book Review on "Mathematical Morphology in Geomorphology and GISci"". Geomatica. 67 (4): 280–284. doi:10.5623/cig2013-056.
- Beucher Serge (2014). "Book Review on "Mathematical Morphology in Geomorphology and GISci", Reviewer: Serge Beucher, Mathematical Geosciences, DOI: 10.1007/s11004-014-9569-3, Published Online 25 October 2014". Mathematical Geosciences. 47 (2): 247–248. doi:10.1007/s11004-014-9569-3.
- "Short Reviews by Renowned Experts on Mathematical Morphology in Geomorphology and GISci" (PDF). Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- B.S. Daya Sagar (2005). Qualitative Models of Certain Discrete Natural Features of Drainage Environment, 2005, Pages 231. Allied Publishers, New Delhi. ISBN 9788177644463.
- Sagar, B S Daya (2013). "Cartograms via mathematical morphology". Information Visualization. 13: 42–58. doi:10.1177/1473871613480061.
- Daya Sagar, B.S (2010). "Visualization of Spatiotemporal Behavior of Discrete Maps via Generation of Recursive Median Elements". Ieee Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 32 (2): 378–384. doi:10.1109/TPAMI.2009.163. PMID 20075466.
- Sagar, B. S. Daya (2007). "Universal scaling laws in surface water bodies and their zones of influence". Water Resources Research. 43 (2): W02416. Bibcode:2007WRR....43.2416S. doi:10.1029/2006WR005075.
- Tay, Lea Tien; Sagar, B. S. Daya; Chuah, Hean Teik (2006). "Allometric relationships between traveltime channel networks, convex hulls, and convexity measures". Water Resources Research. 42 (6): W06502. Bibcode:2006WRR....42.6502T. doi:10.1029/2005WR004092.
- Chockalingam, L; Daya Sagar, B. S (2005). "Morphometry of network and nonnetwork space of basins". Journal of Geophysical Research. 110 (B8): B08203. Bibcode:2005JGRB..110.8203C. doi:10.1029/2005JB003641.
- Sagar, B. S. Daya; Chockalingam, L (2004). "Fractal dimension of non-network space of a catchment basin". Geophysical Research Letters. 31 (12): n/a. Bibcode:2004GeoRL..3112502S. CiteSeerX . doi:10.1029/2004GL019749.
- Sagar, B. S. Daya; Tien, Tay Lea (2004). "Allometric power-law relationships in a Hortonian fractal digital elevation model". Geophysical Research Letters. 31 (6): n/a. Bibcode:2004GeoRL..31.6501S. doi:10.1029/2003GL019093.
- Daya Sagar's page at Indian Statistical Institute
- Daya Sagar's Publications page at Indian Statistical Institute
- Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society
- Computers & Geosciences
- Environmental Informatics-Frontiers
- Image Analysis & Stereology
- "Sagar's ResearcherID"
- International Association for Mathematical Geosciences