||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
27 September 1963 |
Kottayam, Kerala, India
|Residence||Kochi, Kerala, India|
|Parent(s)||S. Bharathadas, Karthyayani Amma|
Sandhya is born to S. Bharathadas and V.L Karthyayani Amma at Palai in Kottayam District, Kerala. She is married to Dr. K. Madhukumar, Controller of Examination,University of Kerala and has a daughter.
She trained in Human Resources Management from Wollongong University, Australia in 1998 and passed the PGDBA from Pondicherry University in 1999. In 2005, she earned her PhD from Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani. Her dissertation was entitled "The Accessibility of Women to the Criminal Justice System and Customer Orientation of Police Personnel Towards Women".
Sandhya joined the Indian Police Service, after passing the Indian Civil Services Examination in 1988. She served as Assistant Superintendent of Police, Shornur, Joint Superintendent of Police, Alathur, Superintendent of Police, CBCID, Kannur, District Superintendent of Police, Kollam and Thrissur, Asst. Inspector General of Police, Headquarters, Thiruvananthapuram, Deputy Inspector General of Police, Crime Investigation, Southern Range, Thiruvananthapuram. Sandhya holds the post of Additional Director General of Police.
In 2010, the International Association of Women Police (IAWP), based in the USA, awarded Sandhya the International Scholarship of Distinction. In 2006, the Kerala Police awarded Sandhya the President’s Police Medal for Meritorious Service. Her novel Neelakoduveliyude Kavalkkari won the Edasseri Award in 2007, Gopalakrishnan Kolazhi Award, Abudabi Sakthi Award, Kunjunni Puraskaram-2013
Sandhya has published many books of literature and several research papers in police science. In addition, Sandhya edited Impressions, a Short History of Kerala Police, published by the Director General of Police, Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram. She also conceptualised a website, Kerala Police History
Literary Publications (Malayalam)
- Tharatthu (The Lullabies) – 1999, Saindhava Books
- Balavadi (The Nursery) – 2001, State Institute of Children’s Literature. Won the Kolazhi Gopalakrishna Panikker memorial children's literature award.
- Kattarente Koottukari (Forest river my friend) – 2007, Poorna Publications
- Ethra Nalla Ammu (Ammu, how nice she is), Won Kunjunni Puraskaram 2013
- Attakkilikunnile Athbhudangal (The Wonders in the Sparrow Hill) – 2009, Novel, SPCS, Kottayam. Won Abudabi Sakthi Award – 2012.
Collection of Poems
- Ranthal Vilakku, (The lantern) – 2002, current Books, Kottayam.
- Neermaruthileuppan (Greater coucal on the tree of Neermaruth) – 2004, Saindhava Books, Kollam.
- Chempakam Nee Madangippokalle (Oh ! Chempa tree, Do not Return) -2013, SPCS, Kottayam.
- Selected Poems of B.Sandhya – 2013, DC Books
- Neelakkoduvelitude Kavlkkari (The Protectress of Neelakkoduveli) – 2006, Mathrubhumi Books
- Ithihasathinte Ithalukal (Petals of the Epic) – 2015, Mathrubhumi Books.
- "ADG P B. Sandhya's poem lands her in trouble". Madhyamam. 3 May 2013. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- "2010 Award Recipients". International Association of Women Police. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- India eNews
- "News Archive". Kerala Police. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Influence of Janamaithri Suraksha Project on the Communities". Kerala Police. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Police Medal Winners". Kerala Police. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "KPA expects changes in police force". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 14 June 2006.