BAE Systems Mantis
|Mock up of BAE Systems Mantis at Farnborough Airshow 2008|
|Manufacturer||BAE Systems Military Air & Information|
|First flight||21 October 2009|
|Status||Test program active|
|Primary user||United Kingdom|
The BAE Systems Mantis Unmanned Autonomous System Advanced Concept Technology Demonstrator is a British demonstrator programme for Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle (UCAV) technology. The Mantis is a twin-engine, turboprop-powered UCAV with a wingspan of approximately 22 m, broadly comparable to the MQ-9 Reaper. Other partners involved in Phase 1 of the Mantis programme include the UK Ministry of Defence, Rolls-Royce, QinetiQ, GE Aviation, L-3 Wescam, Meggitt and Lola.
Design and development
Development of the Mantis started in late 2007, a mockup being revealed at the 2008 Farnborough International Air Show. The Phase 1 Mantis vehicle is powered by two Rolls-Royce Model 250 turboprop engines, although this is likely to change in later variants. The Mantis is intended to have at least 24-hour operational endurance and is an autonomous vehicle, able to pilot itself and to plot its own course, communicating with personnel on the ground regarding its observations.
Phase 1 is intended to demonstrate BAE Systems' rapid prototyping capabilities and will focus on the evaluation of autonomous control systems. Later phases may evaluate civilian applications, armed variants and sensor packages.
The large dome on the front, reminiscent of a pilot's canopy, actually contains an upward facing satellite communications system.
- Crew: none (UAV)
- Length: 19.8 m (65 ft 0 in)
- Empty weight: 1,000 kg (2,205 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 9,000 kg (19,842 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × Rolls-Royce M250B-17 turboprop, 280 kW (380 shp) each
- Maximum speed: 556 km/h; 345 mph (300 kn)
- Cruise speed: 370 km/h; 230 mph (200 kn)
- Endurance: 30 hours
- Hardpoints: Six
- L-3 Wescam MX-20
- BAE Systems Imagery Collection and Exploitation (ICE) system
- Related development
- BAE Systems Corax
- BAE Systems HERTI
- BAE Systems Taranis
- BAE Systems GA22
- BAE Systems/Dassault Telemos
- Related lists
- Craig Hoyle (13 November 2009). "UK's Mantis UAV demonstrator makes first flights". Flight International. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- Mantis, gallery of future drones, Popular Science, March 2010.
- , BAE Systems Newsroom, 9 July 2012.
- "Paris 2011: BAE and Dassault team up for Telemos". AIN Online. 20 June 2011. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- "BAE hails Mantis UAV success, nears Taranis roll-out". 30 June 2010.
- "Rolls-Royce Model 250-B17F" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-02-17.
- "BAE Systems and UK MOD Announce Mantis UAS Demonstrator Programme". www.baesystems.com. 2008-07-14. Archived from the original on 17 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- Chuter, Andrew (2008-07-14). "BAE To Build Knowledge Base With UAV". DefenseNews. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to BAE Mantis.|