BAE Systems Tempest
|BAE Systems conceptual illustration|
|Role||Sixth-generation jet fighter|
|National origin||United Kingdom|
|Introduction||Planned for 2035|
|Program cost||Initially £2 billion up to 2025|
The BAE Systems Tempest is a proposed stealth fighter aircraft concept to be designed and manufactured in the United Kingdom for the Royal Air Force. It is being developed by a consortium known as "Team Tempest," consisting of the UK Ministry of Defence, BAE Systems, Rolls-Royce, Leonardo S.p.A. and MBDA, and is intended to enter service from 2035 replacing the Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft in service with the RAF. £2 billion will be spent by the British government on the project by 2025. On 7 July 2019 it was announced that Sweden was to join the program and pledged £2 billion. The Tempest could serve as the replacement for the Gripen E in the future.
The Tempest was announced by the British Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson on 16 July 2018 at the Farnborough Airshow as part of the Combat Air Strategy. Tempest will be a sixth-generation jet fighter incorporating several new technologies.
Tempest will be able to fly unmanned, and use swarming technology to control drones. It will incorporate artificial intelligence deep learning and possess directed-energy weapons. Another piece of technology being designed into Tempest is so-called Cooperative Engagement Capability, the ability to cooperate on the battlefield, sharing sensor data and messages to coordinate attack or defence. Tempest will feature an adaptive cycle engine and a virtual cockpit shown on a pilot's helmet-mounted display.
- Future Combat Air System
- Future of the Royal Air Force
- BAE Systems Replica
- Mikoyan MiG-41
- F/A-XX Program
- New Generation Fighter
- "Inside Tempest – the fighter jet of the future". techradar.com. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Global, IndraStra. "RAF Tempest — The Changing Dynamics of Cooperation". IndraStra. ISSN 2381-3652.
- "UK unveils new Tempest fighter jet model". BBC News. 2018-07-16. Retrieved 2018-07-16.
- Chuter, Andrew (2019-07-07). "Sweden to join British 'Tempest' next-gen fighter push". Defense News. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- The analyst said it’s likely that the Swedes will have similar military requirements to the British by the time the Tempest is in service. “With a much more assertive Russia on their doorstep the Swedes may well look at their capability requirements for 2040 and beyond and decide they need something much bigger than the Gripen,” said Barrie.
- "Britain to take leading role in next-generation air power, as Defence Secretary launches Combat Air Strategy". GOV.UK. Retrieved 2018-07-16.
- "U.K. Introduces New Fighter Jet: The Tempest". popularmechanics.com. 16 July 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Shukla, Ajai (8 February 2019). "UK to invite India to co-develop sixth-generation fighter aircraft Tempest". Business Standard.
- "Hawker Tempest V Performance". WWII Aircraft Performance. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "UK unveils new Tempest fighter jet to replace Typhoon", The Guardian
- UK military aircraft technology BAE Systems
- Farnborough: Tempest concept underscores UK fighter ambitions Flight Global
|This military aviation article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|