BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role
|BAFTA Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|Awarded for||Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role|
|Presented by||British Academy of Film and Television Arts|
|Currently held by||Sam Rockwell for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)|
Best Actor in a Supporting Role is a British Academy Film Award presented annually by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) to recognize an actor who has delivered an outstanding supporting performance in a film. Actors of all nationalities are eligible to receive the award.
- † – indicates the performance also won the Academy Award
- ‡ – indicates the performance was also nominated for the Academy Award
Winner and nominees
|Ian Holm||The Bofors Gun||Flynn|||
|Anthony Hopkins||The Lion in Winter||King Richard I|||
|John McEnery||Romeo and Juliet||Mercutio|
|George Segal||No Way to Treat a Lady||Morris Brummel|||
|Laurence Olivier||Oh! What a Lovely War||John French|||
|Jack Klugman||Goodbye, Columbus||Ben Patimkin|
|Jack Nicholson||Easy Rider||George Hanson ‡|||
Note: No award for Best Supporting Actor or Best Supporting Actress was presented in 1980. In 1981, the award was for Best Supporting Artist. All four nominees were male.
- 3 wins
- Denholm Elliott (consecutive)
- 2 wins
- Edward Fox
- Ian Holm
- Ray McAnally
- Geoffrey Rush
- Christoph Waltz
- Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor
- Guldbagge Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role
- Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Supporting Actor
- Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
- Kinn, Gail; Piazza, Jim (2014). The Academy Awards: The Complete Unofficial History (5 ed.). New York, United States: Workman Publishing Company. p. 345. ISBN 978-1-57912-986-6.
- Holm, Ian; Jacobi, Steven (2004). "Ian Holm: A Select CV". Acting My Life. Bantam Books. p. 327. ISBN 9780593052143.
- Green, Matt. Celebrity Biographies - The Amazing Life of Sir Anthony Hopkins - Famous Actors.
- O'Neill, William L. (January 1, 2003). The Scribner Encyclopedia of American Lives: M-Z. C. Scribner's Sons. p. 406. ISBN 9780684312224.
- Mayer, Geoff (2003). Guide to British Cinema. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 295. ISBN 9780313303074.
- Block, Maxine; Rothe, Anna Herthe; Candee, Marjorie Dent; Moritz, Charles (2002). Current Biography Yearbook. H. W. Wilson Company. p. 238.
- Thompson, Clifford; Wilson, H. W. (2002). Current Biography Yearbook, 2003. H.W. Wilson Company. p. 238. ISBN 9780824210267.
- Sight and Sound. British Film Institute. 2006.
- Karli, Shaun R. (2012). Becoming Jack Nicholson: The Masculine Persona from Easy Rider to The Shining. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 184. ISBN 9780810885981.
- Gritten, David (2008). The Movies That Matter: From Bogart to Bond and All the Latest Film Releases. HarperCollins Publishers Limited. p. 711. ISBN 9780007271061.
- Parker, John (April 6, 2017). Jack Nicholson - The Biography. John Blake Publishing Ltd. p. 223. ISBN 9781786064998.
- Beaumont-Thomas, Ben (16 February 2014). "Baftas 2014: Barkhad Abdi wins best supporting actor for Captain Phillips". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- Hodgson, Claire (17 February 2014). "BAFTA 2014 winner Barkhad Abdi: What you need to know about Captain Phillips best supporting actor winner". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 2 December 2017.