BBC HD (international)
|Launched||22 June 2008|
|Owned by||BBC Studios|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Replaced by||UKTV HD (Australia)|
BBC Earth (Latin America)
BBC First (Poland)
|Sister channel(s)||BBC Entertainment|
BBC World News
BBC HD is an international high-definition television channel provided by BBC Studios. In many countries the channel has been replaced by other BBC Studios operations. As of 2018[update] the channel is only available in Turkey.
It first launched in Australia. An Australian version of BBC HD was broadcast on the Foxtel HD+ service which was made available to subscribers on 2 June 2008 and was officially launched on 22 June 2008. On 15 November 2009 it was replaced on Foxtel HD+ by UKTV HD.
BBC HD started broadcasting to the Scandinavian countries in 2008. A localised Latin American feed started in 2011. In 2012 a Brazilian feed was created, though later that year, the Brazilian feed merged with that for the rest of the region, with separate audio and subtitle channels.
It was launched in Romania on 31 December 2010, but closed on 6 August 2013.
BBC HD Nordics
BBC HD Nordics was a television channel broadcasting high-definition programming to Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark and Iceland. The channel is also included in HD Cable Platform Teledünya in Turkey.
The channel was launched on 3 December 2008 from the Canal Digital platform and YouSee in Denmark. It was the third BBC HD channel overall (after the British BBC HD and BBC HD Australia), and the first in Continental Europe. The launch of BBC HD coincided with the launch of BBC Entertainment, BBC Lifestyle and BBC Knowledge in Scandinavia.
BBC HD ceased broadcast in the Nordic region on Tuesday 5 January 2016.
- "BBC HD launches in Australia". Idents.tv. 22 June 2008.
- BBC America press release[dead link]
- BBC HD Scandinavia website
- "Global BBC iPlayer to launch in Europe". Digital Spy. 14 June 2011.
- "Premium British drama channel BBC First to launch in Poland". BBC. 13 August 2018.
- "Canal Digital opruster med 11 HD-kanaler". tvnyt.com. 3 December 2008.
- "BBC HD makes its European debut as BBC Worldwide launches channel portfolio in Scandinavia" (Press release). BBC Worldwide Press Releases. 1 October 2008.
- "BBC biffar upp i Sverige". Dagens Media. 13 November 2008.
- "BBC Nordic FAQ".