|Launched||December 1, 2004|
|Closed||April 30, 2006|
|Picture format||NTSC 480i (4:3 SDTV)|
BBC Japan was a television channel from the BBC available via satellite in Japan. Similar in format to BBC Prime (now BBC Entertainment), BBC Japan showed such BBC programmes as Blackadder and Fawlty Towers, with many of them subtitled in Japanese.
On 20 March 2006, the BBC announced that its distributor JMC "no longer has the financial means to honour its contractual commitments to distribute the BBC Japan channel". On 24 April 2006, the BBC confirmed that BBC Japan would cease broadcasting on 30 April 2006.
- BBC has cunning plan for Japan with Blackadder, The Guardian, 9 October 2004
- BBC to entertain on Japanese TV, BBC News, 8 October 2004
- Subscribers get first view of BBC Japan channel, The Japan Times, December 2, 2004
- BBC, Deutsche Welle launch on Japan IPTV, C21Media, 14 June 2005
- BBC Japan website, 24 April 2006
- BBC Japan set to close in April, BBC News, 8 October 2004
|This article about a Japanese corporation– or company–related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This BBC Television-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|