BBC Radio Orkney
|First air date||May 1977|
|Format||News, Music, Sport, Talk|
Depending on the time of year, there are either two or three broadcasts per day on weekdays on the BBC Radio Scotland frequency: the flagship breakfast programme Around Orkney, a short lunchtime news at 12:54pm featuring local news and weather for Orkney and Shetland, and Radio Orkney's Evening Programme.
Around Orkney is a news programme broadcast weekday mornings from 7:30 to 8:00am (opting out from BBC Radio Scotland's Good Morning Scotland), featuring local news, weather, travel, sport, daily diary, job opportunities and mart reports. Every Wednesday there is a "Postbag" section featuring letters sent in by listeners. Radio Orkney produced their first-ever outside broadcasts in summer 2007, from the County Show and the Parish Cup Final.
Radio Orkney's Evening Programme
Radio Orkney's Evening Programme (often referred to as just the evening programme) is a programme broadcast from 6:10 to 7:00pm from Monday–Thursday between the months of October and May. There are various programmes on the evening schedule, including the regular Monday night Bruck programme (swaps and appeals), a folk music programme (Tuesday Folk)), a country music programme (On The Border), Whassigo (described as "an Orcadian Call My Bluff"), Classic Concert (archive local recordings) and the annual Ba Quiz.
Friday Requests is broadcast on Friday evenings throughout the year. The programme is identical in structure to the Radio Orkney programme except that it plays music which residents of Orkney have requested through the week via phoning a request line, usually dedicated their requests.
- "Radio Orkney break new ground with live County Show and Parish Cup broadcasts", The Orcadian. Retrieved 2010-03-31.
- BBC Radio Scotland Programmes - "Bruck", retrieved 2010-03-31
- BBC Radio Scotland - Tuesday Folk, retrieved 2012-07-24
- BBC Radio Scotland - On The Border, retrieved 2012-07-24
- BBC Radio Scotland Programmes - "Whassigo", retrieved 2010-03-31
- BBC Radio Scotland Programmes - "Friday Requests", retrieved 2010-03-31